Gas Combi Heating Boiler ... 2 separate Timers ?

Tony, thank you for your unnecessary comments. It is only 16 hours since I posted my last question and contrary to popular belief we do not all live glued to the pc 24 hours a day with nothing better to do like yourself, some of us do have a life. It is folk like you that get forums a bad name. Please don't waste your time posting if you have nothing better to do than criticising other folk with a genuine question which you obviously did not bother to read.
The question was simple "Is it possible on a gas combi boiler to have 2 completely separate timers fitted side by side, 1 for central heating and one for hot water to run independantly of each other without a problem ?"

Sponsored Links
All I want to know is:
"Is it possible on a gas combi boiler to have 2 completely separate timers fitted side by side, 1 for central heating and one for hot water to run independantly of each other without a problem ?"

To have hot water through the day and off through the night then this is only possible if the timer segments are positioned to the on position with the switch set to "twice", if the switch is set to off then the hot water does not come on.
I do not wish for the central heating to follow the same pattern as the hot water hence the question.
With 2 separate timers then the whole situation would be really straightforward, all I really am asking is: "can I run 2 separate timers in parallel without encountering any problems" ?

Sponsored Links
Your question doesn't make sense.

If you have a combi and, during the night, nobody turns on a hot tap, the hot water will not come on.

So what do you think you will achieve?

If you remove all power from the boiler, it will not work for HW, nor for CH.

With a combi it is usual to have a timer for the CH but not for the HW. None of us understand why you want it and what benefit you hope to gain.

"brassedoff" thanks for your straightforward reply, it is appreciated.
The way the system has been set up, if the timer for hot water is set up then the hot water does not come on is if that part of the timer is set to off.
The person who's system this is does not want her hot water to come on through the night, for wat ever reason known only best to her, the timer is segmented.
This is the reason I have asked "can I run 2 separate timers in parallel without encountering any problems"

sorry brassdorf, should read:
The way the system has been set up is that the timer for hot water is set to come on "once" between around 8.00 am and 11.00 pm throughout the day.
The person who's system this is does not want her hot water to come on through the night, for what ever reason known only best to her, the timer is segmented.
She does not wish for the central heating to operate during those hours and to run whenever she chooses via a segmented timer separately to the hot water.
This is the reason I have asked "can I run 2 separate timers in parallel without encountering any problems" that is all I wish to know, nothing else.

All I want to know is:
"Is it possible on a gas combi boiler to have 2 completely separate timers fitted side by side, 1 for central heating and one for hot water to run independantly of each other without a problem ?"
No.

If this is really a combination boiler, it requires a single channel timer for the central heating. Hot water is only heated when a hot tap is turned on, there is nowhere to connect a timer for the hot water.

If, as is rather more likely, this is a system which heats stored water in a cylinder, then yes, you could have 2 separate timers. However no one ever does this, since 2 channel timer/programmers provide the same functionality in a single device.

Once setting between 8.00 and 11.00 means timer will NOT allow hot water to be heated OUTSIDE of these hours

Where will you connect the second timer if boiler really is a combi boiler?

Anyway, if you do have a combi (doubt it though) and need programmer with independent (not segmented) time base, look at Danfoss, Honeywell and host if others, most will have this function. Posting boiler make and model will clear any uncertainty about boiler type. Switching boiler off and run hot water. If you still get hot water, then you do not have a combi boiler ( since boiler needs power and water flow to get it to deliver hot water hence the term combination the term implying same appliance will heat your rads and provide hot water)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back