Gas Combi Heating Boiler ... 2 separate Timers ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible on a gas combi boiler to have 2 completely separate timers fitted side by side, 1 for central heating and one for hot water to run independantly of each other without a problem ?

Sponsored Links
Why?

Boiler only fires when you run a hot tap (it stays off if hot tap not running and heating timer not calling). Mind you some boilers will have preheat facility which can be disabled but do not see why one would want to do that.

The hot water is on timed on all day but I do not want the heating to be on all day.
I wish to leave the hot water on all day and the central heating to be timed separately hence the reason I want to know if 2 separate timers can run in parallel ?

you can certainly have a timer for the heating.

Why do you think you want a timer for the HW? Is it really a combi? Or have you got a hot-water cylinder?

Sponsored Links
The timer is segmented and the hot water has to be timed. I cannot have 2 separate timed events on the timer hence the reason of "can I run 2 separate timers in parallel" ?

ps. The hot water is timed for "all day" between 8.00am and 11.00pm.
I do not want it running for 24 hours. I cannot time the heating separately on this timer.

What do you think a timer on the HW will do?

If there is no HW cylinder, the boiler will not try to heat the tapwater unless you turn a hot tap on, so the boiler will not be running regardless of an hw timer.

As said combi boilers don't require a timer for hot water as they give hot water priority whenever tap run.

Some for example Worcester boilers can still use a two channel clock but this is something for hot water preheat function, when a combi boiler is turned on, hot water is always available whether in the summer or winter position.

OP thinks he has a combi boiler, perhaps not

The OP has not bothered to reply to admit his misunderstanding of the situation.

Tony

But I did come across a landlord who had put a timeclock on the combi boiler so tenants could only have hot water for an hour in morning and two hours in the evening.

But I did come across a landlord who had put a timeclock on the combi boiler so tenants could only have hot water for an hour in morning and two hours in the evening.

Tight bastard (not you Tone). Almost certainly illegal

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back