Gas Conversion Quotes Recieved, Advice and Input Required

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I have had 3 people out to view my house for Gas conversion. Here is their information can people give me any advice on which to choose and which to steer clear from.

Guy 1
Good Points
He was very friendly and presented us with a brochure, He told us which boiler he recommended and its advantages. He told us that since he is not VAT Registed he can offer us a discount that not many others can. He also told us to check Yellow Pages for reviews.

Bad Points
He did not check the pressure in the taps however said that our Thermostatic Shower would work rather well with a Combi Boiler. He seamed very rushed though to be fair he was 20 miles from home to do a simple quote and it was after 6pm as I had requested.

• Greenstar 30si - But will quote for 29 CDi Classic but warned there is a cost difference. 5 Year Warranty
    All Pipework / Electrical work included in price
    Powerclean of System
    Optional Magniclean (£109)
    2 Years Free Servicing
    1 Year Gurantee
    Honeywell Wireless Thermostat (CM921)
    Free Carbon Monoxide Dectector
    Removal of Oil Boiler / Cylinder and Tanks.
    2 Days Work.
    Cost :: £2190 - Grant :: £300 = Net :: £1,890.00

Guy2
Good Points
This guy was very thourgal looking around the entire house, He looked at our shower which is thermostatic and said that it would blow off the wall with the pressure. He looked at the mains tap and also said that he needs to put a pressure reducer on it.
He put slippers on upon entering the house which I thought was a nice touch.

Bad Points
I asked for him to quote me for two different boilers and the boiler quote he gave me was for the wrong boiler firstly. Secondly he took 2 days to prepare the quote and when he posted it out it was sent to the wrong address.
He appeared not to have any van and judging by me trying to arrange a visit from him his wife was very rude towards me.

• Vaillant Eco Tec Pro 28 - 5 Year Warranty.
    All Pipework / Electrical work included in price
    Powerclean of System
    1 Small Radiator in Airing Cupboard
    Free Fernox Magnet
    1 Year Gurantee
    Removal of Oil Boiler / Cylinder and Tanks.
    2 Days Work
    Cost :: £2500 - Grant :: £300 = Net :: £2,200.00

Guy3
Good Points
Was rather quick looking around the house, However was very warm and friendly. He took notes as we was walking around and when asked if I could put boiler on a stud wall he said that they would build it to make it strong enough to hold the boiler.
He looked for where the condensate pipe would go and also recommended me a type of boiler. I had asked about a 28 CDI and he said that its not recommended for my size of house however it is the Rolls Royce of Worchester Boilers and he would rather fit one of them in his own home.
He was also able to offer me a 7 year warranty.
He also told me about Magnaclean and said it was optional however the trade price of it was around £80.00 so it would be probably worth it.

• Worcester Bosch 30 si (And Quoting 28CDI and 34CDI)
    All Pipework / Woodwork / Electrical work included in price
    Powerclean of System
    Optional (Magnaclean £80)
    1 Year Gurantee
    Removal of Oil Boiler / Drainage of Oil Tank into Cartons to give to friends or family / Removal of Header Tank and Cylinder.
    1 Days work (He has 5 people working with him)
    Still Waiting for Cost..
[/list][/b]

Sponsored Links
Go with your gut instinct, or if your gut instinct is that you don't really like any of them, get more quotes... Incidentally taking 2 days to prepare a quote isn't a bad thing, we do have actual work to do as well as quoting for work!!!

I suspect you have been confused by VAT which may be needed to be added to some quotes.

I say this particularly because a price of £80 for a Magnaclean would not usually include VAT.

Its wrong but many installers talk to customers about prices EXCLUSIVE of VAT.

When talking to non vat registered retail customers the inclusive prices should always be used ( ot its made clear that VAT is to be added )

They all look quite reasonable. Removing the old boiler, oil tanks and cementing the flue hope perhaps sounds like a days work.

You have not mentioned it but if its a new gas supply internal pipework and to a cooker may be needed.

Tony

Hey,

I knew the 3rd Guy was all about the Magnaclean I am waiting for his quote but he does have 5 guys which makes me wonder if he will really be any cheaper.

5 People is an Overhead with Employment Stuffs e.g. Salaries etc...

It is a new gas supply but I wont need it connected to a cooker.

Sponsored Links
The number of people he employs is irrelevant to you.

The price he quotes will not be more because he employs people. It could even be less if he does not pay them very much!

Tony

I suspect you have been confused by VAT which may be needed to be added to some quotes.

I say this particularly because a price of £80 for a Magnaclean would not usually include VAT.

Tony

I charge £60 inc VAT for a Magnaclean on certain boilers. Stop assuming all the time.

Everyone has different purchasing power, which is always negotiable with the supplier.

I wouldn't fit a Magnaclean out of preference either.

I see trade people paying about £87 PLUS VAT at Plumb Centres for a Magnaclean.

Even on Ebay they are usually at least £80 !

Tony

I charge £60 inc VAT for a Magnaclean on certain boilers. Stop assuming all the time.

Everyone has different purchasing power, which is always negotiable with the supplier.

I wouldn't fit a Magnaclean out of preference either.

I agree with Agile on the cost of a magnaclean, if your charging £60.inc VAT, your avin a larf or taking the pizz

Have to agree with the others there Gav the best deal I can get is to buy a TF1 for £70 with the Vat included so supplying and fitting for £60 is a definate no go , where are you getting the magnacleans so cheap from ?

Maybe the install cost goes up, so it looks like you giving them a bargain. :rolleyes:

I get the option to buy them at £59.99 with every boiler i buy from the merchant, he is likely selling them at cost to get plumbers through his door, probably due to 3 national chains that opened up within the last year in the area.

I don't mark them up to the customer when fitting a boiler, which makes me look good, but charge to clean them every year with the boiler service.

Win win

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back