Gas fire black marks all over walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - we've moved into our first house that has a gas fire in the front room. We noticed that all the walls in that room, as well as the doors, windows and everything else had soot marks all over them, there were big squares where the previous occupants had had pictures on the wall.

These black marks extended to the hall and up the stairs too. They seemed particularly bad near the air vent to outside and above the fireplace. We think the room may not have been decorated in a very long time but is this normal for a gas fire?

I will get a CO alarm and we haven't used the fire since we moved in. Now we have our own furniture in there we want to sort it out before it blackens everything or worse kills us! The fire is a Crosslee Royal Cozyfire slimline standard mk2. Could it be that the flue is blocked or that the fire needs a good clean? I'm reluctant to touch stuff like this and would it be advisable to get a gas safe engineer out or contact customer services at crosslee? I assume it's been in here since the house was built in 98 so not under warranty any more.

Plus there is an air vent in the wall that seems very large but was thick with soot and has a fly screen on it. I believe it shouldn't have a fly screen but does make the room very cold. What size should be fitted?

Your help would be greatly appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Ring a gas safe registered engineer!
The black soot is the result of incomplete combustion of the gas, which creates excessive amounts of carbon monoxide(the silent killer) and soot, have you got boiler on the wall somewhere?

We have a combi boiler on the wall in the kitchen, it was serviced in January and no black marks on wall. It definitely seemed to be worse around the fireplace and around the ventilation hole in the wall like it was flowing that way. Will no way use it!

Sponsored Links
Are you serious. This is a bit lioke posting on a medical forum:

"I've got pus coming out of erverry orifice. should I be concerned? Do I need to ring a doctor".

In my opinion a standard activity when moving into a new house is to have all theappliances checked, regardless of any obvious signs of distress (unless you know the history and have a report from the previous occupant)

The fire sounds as if it is spiling fumes big style, and clearly you mistn't use the fire. Call an RGI EXPERIENCED in gas fires. Don't bother phonong Croslee, they will not be interested in an out of warranty fire.

The fire you have is typical of a DIY job, as that make was sold extensivey through the sheds (and BG!).

The fire almost certainly does not need a vent, but don't do anything until it is checked.

Do you hgve a "proper" chimnney or is it a precast flue. The latter are notorious for imcorrect installation and/or blockages due to spider webs. Your RGI should climb into the loft to inspect, as well as all the other safety checks.

Did you not look at the room befoe buying the house. Or isn it rented? If it is rented then let us know as there will be some more infoi for you.

If this is not a wind up, then the situation is potentially as serious as it gets.

Good post expertgasman, and right on the button.

Only problem is you are assuming every Tom, Dick and Harry knows all this stuff, whereas in reality very few actually do.

I think the OP did right to ask the question, and shows he/she is aware of potential problems.

get a gas safe engineer round asap and DO NOT use it

you have done the right thing by asking the question and are correct to be concerned

Just an update - had a gas safe bloke in a while back and he did two smoke tests on the flue and they were fine, he took the coals off and hoovered it out then rearranged them as they should be arranged. He said there was no cause for concern and the fireplace looked in good condition. The fireplace itself had no marks on it so it looks more like a lack of decorating for many years. Got a CO alarm and everything seems OK.

Just an update - had a gas safe bloke in a while back and he did two smoke tests on the flue and they were fine, he took the coals off and hoovered it out then rearranged them as they should be arranged. He said there was no cause for concern and the fireplace looked in good condition. The fireplace itself had no marks on it so it looks more like a lack of decorating for many years. Got a CO alarm and everything seems OK.

Thanks for letting us know you're still alive. :)

In your case I am pleased to hear that the fire after a service was OK.

Of course you were lucky and not everyone in that situation would be.

The important thing is that you were sensible and had it checked before you used it. I hope that anyone else in a similar situation will be equally as careful.

Tony

Read this with interest.

Our boiler shows black marks on wall next to flue outlook.

Gas-safe chap said it was normal.

Black marks presumably not always a sign of poor combustion?

they can also be dust-shadow marks. You also see them above radiators. In this case the convection currents go vertically straight up the wall and there may also be a puddle of black on the ceiling just above. The dust is very fine and very difficult to clean off, and the soot will stain and soak into gloss paint..

All surfaces in a room that has an open fire, or where candles or cigarettes are frequently burned, with have deposits of soot and ash, especially noticeable when you move a picture on the wall.

However any marks around a boiler or fire are to be treated with suspicion.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back