Gas fire to electric stove

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, looking for some guidance, this might be long because I don’t know if it makes sense!

We had an old gas fire in our 70’s build house which we had removed (and capped off by a gas safe engineer), and were left with an ugly hole in the chimney breast.
In the chimney breast is a metal cylindrical tube, about 5 inches wide which I’m assuming is the flue (?)
I would like to get the fireplace boarded out and plastered to stick a nice electric stove in the existing hole.
I’m assuming it’s capped at the roof as it’s always been a gas fire in the hole, although we do hear the odd tinny ding when it’s raining. And I’m assuming damp won’t be an issue because the height of the gas fire meant it was pushed against the hole.

My question is, do we need to do anything with the flue (metal tube)/put anything in it, or can we just board and plaster the top of the fireplace hole, over the flue hole?
8E707CCB-0C62-4E27-92C7-CA4CA0E126B7.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Add a photo of you chimney and indicate which is the one for your one time gas fire.

You must have a small amount of ventilation in the fireplace, to help avoid damp.

Here is a picture of the top of the inside of the fireplace - so just wondering if we can cover up this?
8BF8F047-E9A5-47F3-85BE-6135908CF6BA.jpeg

Sponsored Links
The chimney seems to be solid brick/concrete, other than the space for the flue - so I’m guessing leaving ventilation to prevent damp isn’t an issue here?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back