Gas Hob Ignition Electrode Repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the help of my Gas Safe reg plumber mate I replaced the ignition module on my Stoves 600G hob.

The only thing is, there is a small piece of one of the ceramic pillars insulating the electrodes missing, so the spark is going sideways and the ignition on that ring is hit and miss, more miss than hit.

Apparently, Quiksteel is not conductive, although reinforced with steel and can be used as an insulating material. It is also rated to 260 degrees C.

Would it be suitable to repair this electrode?

Sponsored Links
I use milliput for this and it works.

Never used quick steel before but if it's similar stuff then it will be fine.

As an RGI I have to say that you should really replace the electrode but...

Jon

Sponsored Links
Hi mitch

He's not done it before! He's always replaced them.

Hi jon

I shall look up milliput!

I understand it should be replaced, but I can't get the fixing screw out for love nor money!!

Hi JB

No, the electrode is hardened steel that does not bend. If it did, it would break off the remainder of the ceramic insulating pillar
and it would be useless.

Jon

Have looked up Milliput and it looks great, but it has a temperature resistance of half that of Quiksteel.

Thanks, though, I will keep it in mind for other things.

Always works for me, remember that the heat that the flame produces is not the heat that is where the electrode is. Guy I know once repaired a crack in a cylinder head on an old Mitsubishi Shogun with the stuff!!

Try that Quiksteel though if you have it and I'd be interested to see how it goes if you wouldn't mind keeping me informed. Cheers

Jon.

Always works for me, remember that the heat that the flame produces is not the heat that is where the electrode is.
That's very true. The bottom of the flame is relatively 'cool', though I wouldn't stick my finger in it.

It's not that. I can't get the farquar out as the retaining screw is jammed solid.

No amount of love, money or WD will shift it!

Drill it out?? Moles on the head? TBH your gas safe mate should be able to do this in a jiffy.

I'd be interested to see how it goes if you wouldn't mind keeping me informed.

It works!

It's a bit of a fag cos I'm a doddering imbecile now compared to what I once was! You have to work quick as it starts hardening off after 2 minutes.

I left a lump on the worktop while I was splodging some round the electrode and when I had finished, it was rock solid!

I'll keep an eye on it after several uses to see if the putty is deteriorating with the heat.

Sponsored Links
Back