Gas leak detectors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
How good are they and how accurate are they. How much do you need to spend to get a good one

Sponsored Links
Excellent found many a gas that could not find with soap spray, even good for purging larger pipework to tell when to stop.(do not do this with the corgi inspector though) hrpc do one for about £80-100
img_draw.php

Sponsored Links
I've got the one above (TPI); works every time, always finds the leak.

with have the testo versions of them

Brilliant but pricey

I like nams tecnique alot thou

:)

I'm a smoker. I always light up when looking for gas leaks. I'm still here, slightly singed but still here.

I'm a smoker. I always light up when looking for gas leaks. I'm still here, slightly singed but still here.

LMAO

dam right, mind you a fag last EXACTLY the same time as a tightness test, who needs a stopwatch when you got a smoker

;)

I have an Anglo Nordic.

Its main advantage is a long and thin nose for sucking in the test sample and so it is able to pin point the leak well.

It used to have a NiCad battery which was very stupid and took about two days to recharge but the latest ones are Ni-Mh with no memory effect.

Tony

may sound like a joke now but certainly wasn't even in fairly recent times and I would imagine still practised widely by old timers.
Sniffer on the new telegan sprint 2000's was the most sensitive I ever used.

I've had a few, and they seem to be much the same, except that the Anglo Nordic seems to be slow to respond.

What I've found VERY important is to switch them on outside in clean air, to establish the base sensitivity.

They're ALL daft in that they respond to rubber carpet underlay, leak detection fluid, the smell of an old gas pipe, temperature, etc etc. Even the £1000 GascoSeekers do that.

I once repaired a gas fire for an old dear. She kept ringing me up saying she could smell gas. Installation always passed tightness test. Finally I removed the fire to bench test at home. I told her that if she still smelled gas after it was installed that I would ring Transco myself. Never heard from her again but I suspected that she could smell the leak detection fluid I'd been using.

Remember my old apprentice his dad was a plumber but after serving his industrial apprenticeship he went into fire brigade, and just did Guvvy's for a lifetime (the only real way to earn a living).

One of the other ex firemen says Kevin went under the floor to look for gas leak, boomb, came back out all smoky. And him a fireman and all!

They're ALL daft in that they respond to rubber carpet underlay, leak detection fluid, the smell of an old gas pipe, temperature, etc etc. Even the £1000 GascoSeekers do that.

Spent an hour once tracing a "leak"....no drop on TT......turned out to be the tenants festering rubbish. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back