Gas main bonding question (with pic)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,
Below is a photo of the back of my gas meter cupboard. I've read on this forum that the incoming gas main should be bonded on 'my side of the meter' so my question is - in my case, which side is that ?

The pipe on the right is nearest the street and the pipe on the left (with isolation lever) is nearest to the gas pipe that enters the house.

Does that mean the bonding should be on the other side within the cupboard ? Does it actually matter, or is it a case of sticking to 'best practice' ?

Cheers.

DB_Electrics_013e.jpg

Sponsored Links
"nearest the street" is not the right way to do it. You have to look at which pipe in the "in" to the meter and which is the "out"

I thought they had direction arrows but I might be imagining it.

The pressure governer and the isolation valve will be on the supply side (so it can be turned off to exchange the meter) so your bonding should be on the other pipe. It looks correct to me.

the bonding is correct position but why is the meter shy (facing backwards) and how is it read? also is cable 10mm as it should be.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - just wanted to check that everything was OK, as I'm about to upgrade the earthing at the CU.

The cupboard opens the other side too, so that the meter can be accessed and read.

what is the pipe between the pipe on the right hand side of the gas box and the meter inlet made of? , it looks very much to me like it is made of lead in which case i would recommend that it be replaced by a competant corgi engineer as it has been a very long time since lead piping was allowed to be used for gas. APologies if it is not lead, but just looks very like it to me.

Nick

sparkydude said:
what is the pipe between the pipe on the right hand side of the gas box and the meter inlet made of?
Nick

It could be lead - it's certainly some kind of soft metal that looks like it's been bent into shape. The house was built in 1972, so it's possible it could be the original pipe that was used when the meter was first installed.

If it was lead, why would you recommend getting it replaced ?

it is lead and there are 1000's of them out there until it perishes/splits there is no need to do anything with it.
it will eventually be replaced by transco or metering company if they feel it warrants it

why would transco or the metering supply company change it , it is on the householders side. The first thing you will know about it is when they come to change your meter and refuse to re-connect it due to the lead pipe on the consumers side.

Nick

sparkydude said:
why would transco or the metering supply company change it , it is on the householders side. The first thing you will know about it is when they come to change your meter and refuse to re-connect it due to the lead pipe on the consumers side.

Nick
They might not know about it then! They changed our meter while we were out, we weren't informed about it. Good job we have an electronic boiler!

There appear to be so many things wrong with that meter installation! If the meter is outside the building the bonding should really be at the first point the gas pipe enters the building, and not in the meter box. It's a good idea for the meter to be labled to tell the competant person looking at it where the bonding is situated if it's not obvious where it enters the building.
The meter should certainly be fixed to the wall, especially with that lead pipe. I'm amazed that hasn't been replaced. The "anaconda" looks like it's bent a little too tightly as well. Presumably there's a window for the gas reading to be taken from on the other side and you can see all the appropriate lable through the little window too?

To answer your question though, the supply side is on the left, going through the ECV and the anaconda to the govenor.

Tim Kelly said:
There appear to be so many things wrong with that meter installation! If the meter is outside the building the bonding should really be at the first point the gas pipe enters the building, and not in the meter box.
The meter should certainly be fixed to the wall, especially with that lead pipe. I'm amazed that hasn't been replaced. The "anaconda" looks like it's bent a little too tightly as well. Presumably there's a window for the gas reading to be taken from on the other side and you can see all the appropriate lable through the little window too?

I seem to have confused some of you by taking the photo from inside the garage, haven't I ?!

The meter cupboard is set in a cavity wall and the meter can be read by opening the (other) door from the outside. The photo has been taken from inside the garage, by opening what is effectively the rear door of the cupboard. The cupboard can be accessed from both sides - it really is that simple ! :)

The pipe on the left is the first point that the pipe enters the building and the regulations seem to require that the bonding is done on 'my side' of the meter, hence the location of the clamp, as this is the first available opportunity (bar the lead pipe)

I've never seen any meter fixed to a wall - they've always been free-standing in any house I've ever lived in.

I do take your point that it may not be ideal by modern standards though. I doubt that British Gas or Transco would have enough time to upgrade all the installations of this type - I would imagine there are a fair few about...all the houses on my estate for starters !

Gas regs state the earth for gas meter supply must be within 600mm of gas meter AND before the first T in the pipe work.

Lead is still ok to be left in use as in this picture. The only place lead gas pipe HAS to be changed is if it is in a communal stair well of hall etc in a block of flats.

Saying that if I do any installation work on a property that has lead as in this pic, I always replace it with copper. Quite often the lead has become 'flattened' where it is bent, so therefore is restricting the gas flow.

I always thought that the lead was counted as flexible, and that there are not allowed two flexible pipes so any gas fitter before doing any work on any part of the system has to replace that lead with fixed pipework. I would also inform the emergency service provider that there is no way to prevent you from reversing your meter. You may have been unaware but there should be a plate on top that dissalows reversal.

Your main equipotential bonding is the only thing that is right in the picture.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back