gas meter box location.

J

johnfox

hi all any help would be really useful.
i am planning a porch/storage area on the front of my house,the gas meter in the box is situated currently outside,with the porch built it will be inside the porch by 12 foot.
i have phoned national grid on the repairs number (not emergency) the girl did not have a clue but said it was ok after speaking to a supervisor.
builder has not mentioned it needs to be relocated,my nice nosey neighbour said it must be fitted externally,something about yellow plastic.
so i need advice,can the meter box be inside my house.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
it can be inside, the trouble may be when digging the footings the gas main (which is the yellow pipe) may not be deep enough to allow the footings in, if this is the case your best bet is to get the box moved as the pipe would need to be cut anyway.

littleleaks thanks for reply.
another problem i can see is when i am away from the property i like to turn off the gas at the meter,this gives me peace of mind.
with the meter box in the property there will be 11 foot of live gas pipe,which i cannot turn off.
i will try national grind again tomorrow,maybe if i say i am willing to pay lots of money they will take notice.
thanks.

Sponsored Links
phoned (national grinding my patience now) told them i am willing to pay to have the meter relocated, all the girl on the call center could do is to read out a script about gas safety,i told her i want to have a pipe altered so i was transferred to a guy who read out the same script,i asked if i had the wrong phone number and was transferred and yes another reading of the safety advice script.this is non urgent phone number.
had to hang up then as my head was hurting.
anyway getting job done this morning from being reccomended a guy from the pub,said not cost more than £150.00.
Bargin.

Bargain if done by a transco guy on the side ,BOOM if done by a guy who has not got a clue,
Pictures if you could please

Either way if anything does go wrong 100% down to you!

ok all done now.thanks for advice.nowt wrong with private enterprise.
:D :D :D

And you know that because?? did he fusion weld, compression or cut and thread

namsag,that is all gobblyduke to me.
they are experts at their work but they also like the biscuits and pies with gallons of tea i supplied.
cant say any more here.but the middle man seems to want a load of money.
if only supplier/shipper gave me the chance of putting an order forward for works to be carried out.

hey JohnFox

I need my gas meter moved also, I am in ayrshire, scotland - I've asked some local plumbers about moving it, all say 'no chance'.

how did you manage to get someone to do it for that price?

I don't want to be ripped off - i'd sooner tell them to shove their gas and find another form of energy

thanks

YOU CANNOT HAVE A GAS METER BOX INTERNAL TO THE PROPERTY!!!!
99% likely you have a plastic service pipe and this cannot run under the foundations of the property/porch unless it is suitably protected.... i.e, sleeved in a metal pipe (usually the old service pipe)

You're leaving yourself wide open if you put the meter box internal.

thanks all,the problem i had was trying to get operatives on end of national grind phone to send me out salesman or quote for the ghastly fiberglass box to be relocated to outside,via phone.
umm they could not be more than unhelpfull.
so i asked guys working with those yellow plastic pipes working not locally and yes now all done but meter on a nifty bracket now inside porch.
quote me happy.yes i am.

sorry just a quick question.
if the plastic inlet pipe is within my property as per above,how is that classfied.
ie dangerous,at risk or not to current regulations.
thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back