Gas meter box with plastic ties holding door on

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have never had an outside gas meter before, so this is a genuine question, having just moved house.

The drop-down door of my outside gas meter box, which I believe to be many, many years old, has plastic ties holding the door on and when you open the door it just clatters down, which is very unsatisfactory, not to mention the noise it makes.

Could somebody please tell me how this door is supposed to be fixed, and if there is anything I can do to make it a little easier to work with?

The meter box is the same as the one at the bottom LHS of this page

http://www.dri-sil.co.uk/HookOnMeter.html

Sponsored Links
post a pic of the meter and we can tell you better.. there are many designs and makers..
you can get replacement doors for some but we need to know which one it is..

I have just edited my post andentered a web site with exactly the same box as mine. It is the filthy one at thebottom LHS of the web page.

We used to have one of those meter boxes at my old house and that had cable tie hinges aswell, i thnk it was the original design . probably could pop rivet some hinges to the fibreglass and that would solve the problem. May take a bit of fiddling to get it to work properly.

Nick

Sponsored Links
by the look of that pic the door should have 2 lugs on the bottom to fit in the slots

if you unhook the box there is usually a makers name inside ;)

As you've found a supplier for the exact box you've got, you have found your own solution

This is how these boxes have always been,2 plastic ties holding the door.Thousands of them around.

They are designed with a removable door, the door drops into the slots and is then locked with a key, ties are added by people who don't like the door falling off when opened.

Thanks to everybody who answered my post.

dextrous
It was a cheap solution I was seeking. These boxes cost about £80 I believe :rolleyes:

Thank you again colJack

The door has to be lifted out of the slots

I believe according to the design there could have been hinges of one kind or another, and they might have deteriorated in the course of time. I believe this type of meter box is antediluvian :LOL:

In case anybody is wondering why I am so concerned about this. I am a sad man who reads the meters every week :oops:

Thank you again colJack

The door has to be lifted out of the slots

I believe according to the design there could have been hinges of one kind or another, and they might have deteriorated in the course of time. I believe this type of meter box is antediluvian :LOL:

In case anybody is wondering why I am so concerned about this. I am a sad man who reads the meters every week :oops:

i did wonder a bit why you would be bothering with a noise of the door banging open, hold it in your hand and lower it gently and it will be quiet

Thanks to everybody who answered my post.

dextrous
It was a cheap solution I was seeking. These boxes cost about £80 I believe :rolleyes:
Thought you could have contacted the manufacturers via this supplier who could have provided you with and missing or broken off hinges if they existed. Sorry if this meaning wasn't clear.

dextrous
Sorry if I picked you up wrong :oops:
Am grateful anyway for advice!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back