Gas pipe at or just below ground level under driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I started digging down against the front corner of the house wall today to install a fence/gate post... and found the gas pipe just a few cm below the surface of the hardcore under the gravel driveway. I checked where I expected the pipe to enter the house, and sure enough, there it was.

If I assume a straight run through to the road and at the same depth, then I've been driving/parking my truck over/on this nearly every day for the past 2 years. The pipe is metal, so probably no risk to being punctured by the stones, but is there is a risk of fracture? Do I need to be concerned? Does it need digging up and laying lower? (obviously not by me!)

I know if this was a new build then it wouldn't pass any inspection. I suspect at one time it was under a concrete driveway which has been taken up at some point in the past.

Attachments

• PXL_20220417_144027394.jpg
    PXL_20220417_144027394.jpg
    565.2 KB · Views: 158
  • PXL_20220417_143522076.jpg
    PXL_20220417_143522076.jpg
    623.1 KB · Views: 168
Sponsored Links
I think, the electric and gas companies now like to see some minimum 450mm depth to the top of the cable and pipes, in pea gravel and the correct warning tape above that. As it's existing, if you went through it, the utilities would normally fix it foc because they're not deep enough.

If I was you, I would ring the gas company and say that you're doing your drive and noticed the low depth of pipe, would they like to come along and replace it. State that you would dig a channel along to their desired depth. There was a program of works of doing this, streets were being done at a time, so they may take you up on your offer. Unless they do this, leave as is because you won't be able to touch the pipe to the meter.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back