Gas pipe going under floorboards, is it safe ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone, I'm wazza and i'm new to the site. I'm after some advice on having a new combi/condenser boiler fitted to replace my 30 yr old boiler. I've had an engineer out to give me a quote and he said the gas pressure to the new boiler from the old gas pipe may not be sufficient, he might need to cap it off and fit a new pipe from my gas meter which is on the other side of the house. The best route for the new pipe would be straight up the wall through the ceiling and along under the upstairs floorboards until its above the new boiler (in kitchen) then back down through the ceiling and into the boiler. The existing pipe is encased in concrete under the downstairs floor. I have to say I don't rest easy with a gas pipe going up and down my walls and under upstairs floorboards. Can anyone tell me is this safe ? is it normal ? and if my new boiler is going to be so efficient and use far less gas then why cant he use to existing pipe ? he says its too small. Does this sound right. Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Its normal and its safe!

Probably far safer than any gas pipe in concrete.

The old boiler is probably lower max power and then pipes often used to be undersized because no body bothered much about it until recently.

Full marks to the gas engineer for pointing this out to you. Some cowboys pretend the existing supply is fine when it is not!

Tony

Thanks for your reply , I was expecting some flak for my question. I feel a lot better... cheers

Sponsored Links
Gas pipes have been run under floors since the beginning of the industry, the only concern is that nobody bangs a nail through it! So long as you know where it is and don’t damage it that’s fine.

Remember that in the past not only was there a risk of explosion but coal gas was also poisonous, natural gas is not, only the fumes from the incorrect burning of natural gas can produce CO long after it‘s left the pipes and been burnt in a faulty appliance, so it can be argued much less of a risk than it used to be.

Most boilers tend to need a 22mm supply (¾” in old money) at least until a metre or so before the boiler often the supply is only 15mm (½”), a combi because it heats the domestic water on demand has a high gas rate at that time so a good supply is essential.

Hope it helps,
footprints

Just seen Agile beat me to it :D still I guess an extra bit of reassurance will not come amiss ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back