Gas pipe location

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive been advised that my now capped off gas supply to an old gas fire which is still live otherwise should be ventilated?

I asked the gas fitter at the time and he said it is fine to put rockwoll insulation around it but now im reading otherwise? Anyone gas safe who can advise?

Please see the pic for clarification.

The capped off pipe is tucked behind that insulation.

Plasterboard will be going over the area when ready.

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_20210627_144904.jpg
    IMG_20210627_144904.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG-20210627-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210627-WA0005.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Any gas supply pipe should be cut back to where it tee's from the main supply pipe. A live gas pipe should not be left in a space that will be sealed. Is that a builders opening with an open flue/chimney? If so then that space should also be ventilated to avoid future damp problems.

Any gas supply pipe should be cut back to where it tee's from the main supply pipe. A live gas pipe should not be left in a space that will be sealed. Is that a builders opening with an open flue/chimney? If so then that space should also be ventilated to avoid future damp problems.

Yeh it is, the outside brick was bricked up and the hole that remains has been completely damp proofed with DPC on the bottom and wall itself, the wall is down a side alley that never really gets any rain anyway.

I mean surely the space is sealed as soon as plasterboard is put back over the pipe anyway?

I think you’ve misunderstood what @Madrab was saying in relation to damp issues. If you take a gas fire out, then the unused chimney if being closed, should be vented, if not then damp can form, because of all the trapped moisture retained in the brickwork/chimney.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
I think you’ve misunderstood what @Madrab was saying in relation to damp issues. If you take a gas fire out, then the unused chimney if being closed, should be vented, if not then damp can from, because of all the trapped moisture retained in the brickwork/chimney.
Its not a chimney mate it just vented directly through the wall outside.

Now the exterior wall has been rebricked, DPM has covered all of the brickwork all around and at the base with flashing tape joining each sheet.

The wall is also down an alleyway and basically gets no rain hitting the brick really.

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just get it cut and capped where it tees into the carcass, hardly rocket science

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Just get it cut and capped where it tees into the carcass, hardly rocket science
Someone on the plastering forum said it should be completely removed incase someone drills into it accidently in the future and i might be responsible for their death as they wouldent expect their to be a pipe there, i thought it was a bit extreme but just wondered what the regulation says.

Then i read about gas lines needing to be vented.

I assume the end cant be bedded into that rockwoll then?

just wondered what the regulation says.
Looks like it’s similar to that if a cavity, so no you couldn’t. As already advised, get it cut back where it tees off, or even remove the tee section and re-couple it up, by a gsr engineer.

when people say cut it back to where it tees off the main supply pipe is that necessary? If that was to happen it would mean digging loads of wall away, surely this isent done everytime a gas appliance is removed........

Once you cover it over there's no visible evidence that a gas pipe exists behind the plasterboard, so it's a trap waiting for the unwary at some future date.

Once you cover it over there's no visible evidence that a gas pipe exists behind the plasterboard, so it's a trap waiting for the unwary at some future date.
What do people usually do then when removing gas fires etc? surely they dont have the full pipe cut all the way back to the main supply pipe?

Same when a boiler is removed and placed somewhere else?

Leave the pipe where it is and just get the t removed from the main pipe, that way no accidents will happen in the future and you won't make your job any bigger

Leave the pipe where it is and just get the t removed from the main pipe, that way no accidents will happen in the future and you won't make your job any bigger
That sounds ideal, is that easy enough to do, will it be done at the meter or will the pipe work likely be done inside the wall?

My gas meter is on the same external wall as my old gas fire, but i cant see any pipes going to where the fire was externally.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back