Gas pipe to hob

Those VERY few that do allow a flexible hose have a proviso along the lines that it must be spaced at least 25 mm ( etc. ) from any heat producing appliances like the back of an oven.

I think that a standard cooker hose probably meets the spec of metal formed with a non corrosive covering.

I know that they have a metal inner because I see them when the oven has caught them alight and the rubber has burnt off!

A few more landladies should be suing the gas installers who fit hobs which do not comply with the latest regs. After all it has been mentioned in the CORGI mag and John Lewis sales people always ask if its for a flat before selling one without the FFDs.

Tony

Tony

Sponsored Links
Flexis may be used where the MI allows, however if the flexi is likely to come into contact with a surface that may exceed 70c ( back of a built in oven) then the flexi may not be used. Had this argument with a customer who had read his MI and had decided that I would use a flexi with an oven underneath.

Of course this opens the question, could the back of a free standing cooker exceed 70c?

Put one gas man in a room and he'll start an argument. Put two in a room and you'll have a war ;)

But how hot does the pipe have to get before the solder joint melts :evil:

And more to the point, could it reach that temperature if it was touching the cooker.

Most soft solders melt between about 180 - 250°C.

No normal cooker would get that hot.

However, a fully enclosed oven which had accidently been left on during a hot summers day with no air flow behind the oven could probably reach 100°C in a bad case. Not much good for a flexible but no problem for a soldered copper pipe!

Tony

Sponsored Links
jonjb . cooker flexes are not just a rubber hose they are metal inside.

As for people now mentioning ovens under hobs , this is all part of the manufacturers instructions which MUST be followed

It's not a flat - it's a house.

I might, out of curiosity, and to satisfy you all dig out the MI, if I still have them and let you know what it says!

I will have a dig around later as I might just have them - although that hob was originally fitted some 15 years ago so the rubber hosing was installed then although the hobs have been changed since.

however as I said I now have a new hob with new copper piping.

thanks guys
Hope you all have a lucky day seeing as its the 13th !

There should be a gas tap to isolate the hob from the gas supply for servicing.

I always take the view that the gas tap should be reasonable accessible i.e. not behind a screwed in oven unit. However, there is no requirement in the regulations for it to be easily accessible.

Its my view that keeping it accessible is good practice though.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back