Gas pipe to hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have the regulations on piping changed since last year?

I have just had a Landlords Safety Gas Record done and whilst the boiler and plumbing to that passed, my hob failed on the basis that it's a rubber pipe and should now be copper.

I have had this changed now with a copper pipe but was curious as to how it passed last year, so has the legislation been amended since last year?

Thanks for all advice.

Sponsored Links
It passed because the nupty last year did not bother to check what kind of gas supply pipe was fitted.

You should report last year's tester to CORGI !

Tony

No regulation change. As Agile said, just an engineer that missed it last time.

Andy.

Do you have the manufacturers instructions, some let you use a cooker hose.

Sponsored Links
Well, you might not believe this but I can tell you that the guy who did it last year is apparently a teacher also in a local college and teaches some sort of Gas course - not sure what!

I am horrified now! So what you are saying is this is not a new thing? That is should never have been a rubber pipe in the first place?

And what is worse is that I had little confidence in this year's fitter - just goes to show doesn't it?

This leads me to another question. I had an old shower in another place which has been replaced with a Mira - the new Mira shower is actually not placed where the old one was and virtually sticks out beyond the shower curtain if that makes sense - (i.e - it's not in the same position as the old shower).

The guy that fitted it said apparently that due to piping it had to be left like that. Whilst it works for sure, cosmetically it does not look great being placed halfway where the shower curtain lies.

Any comments on this please?

Well, you might not believe this but I can tell you that the guy who did it last year is apparently a teacher also in a local college and teaches some sort of Gas course - not sure what!

That doesn't surprise me.

I wonder if I know him?

As they say, if you cannot do it yourself then teach it !

While gas hob must be plumbed in copper, some makers do say their hobs can be fitted using a cooker hose. This can be done ONLY if the manual specifies this. Before condemning the last person, look for the manual and check.

I have seen many Manafactures instructions stating that you may connect using suitable flexi cooker hose. This seems to occuring more often now.

As DP, some hobs it's perfectly acceptable to use the correct hose.

Me thinks that perhaps the latest allegedly RGI is not that well up on the regs.

It's irrelevant now as I now have a new hob with new copper piping so am sure it's all ok now.

Thanks for all your comments guys!

Maybe irrelavant for you now,but what about your landlord?

It's irrelevant now as I now have a new hob with new copper piping so am sure it's all ok now.

It may be irrelevant, so why did you post the question :rolleyes:

OP this has been the rule for as long as i've been doing gas 25years+ only recently have we seen a few manufacturers allowing flexi ble cooker hoses to be used. personally i would always rigid pipe as it looks more professional and is actually cheaper to install.(materials only)

It may be irrelevant, so why did you post the question :rolleyes:

Because when I posted the question the old hob and rubber pipe were still in place! Since it failed on the Landlords certificate then I took the procedure of correcting this by buying a new hob and having the correct fittings installed.

I asked the question because I wanted to know if the guy who inspected it last year had missed something (in which case I would certainly never use him again) or to see if legislation had changed.

Someone mentioned above contacting the manufacturer to see if the rubber piping was acceptable. The fact that an installer has now fitted the correct piping and that I therefore don't need to contact the manufacturer led me to say it was now irrelevant.

If my questions here are going to be questioned then a layman (or woman) like myself will be detered from asking in future!!!!!!

I come here for advice, not to be questioned.

By the way I am the Landlord............ or Landlady to be exact which is why I came here for advice. I doubt that a tenant would go to this trouble.

Appreciate what you are saying Newgirl. I would have thought you would wait for the relies before likely wasting your money on new hobs etc.

If you look in the MI it will tell you if a flexible is acceptable.

If you post the hob make/model we will probably have the mi and could check.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back