Gas Hob Isolation valve - regulations?

Sponsored Links
I remember when every warnker called BG rip off merchants and said power flushes were not required till they seen Bg were charging and getting 700 quid and they could then offer it at 400

I personally wouldn't worry about the isolation valve but take a cooker hose that doesn't hang correctly....there is every potential for the hose to shear and a serious leak developing (I've come across several over the years on the verge). Your noted NCS has no standing and is pointless...nothing will happen to that sub standard installation. In the event of that hose failing what happens then? Who will take the wrap? For me it should now be deemed as AR and rectified.

Its complete bolox of a rule anyway.How about you turn the gas on and off at the ecv!.you would need to check for a drop there after isolating and re instating the supply to the hob anyway

Sponsored Links
At risk not to have hob isolation valve
...you are having a larfffff.

The amusing aspect of the hob iso valve is that it does not even need to be visible.

Hiding it behind an electric oven where you cannot even see it is apparently perfectly acceptable!

Tony

The amusing aspect of the hob iso valve is that it does not even need to be visible.

Hiding it behind an electric oven where you cannot even see it is apparently perfectly acceptable!

Tony
I installed a hob only as a favour to a kitchen fitter mate and fitted the correct Iso valve behind the electric oven as nearly everyone does, along comes nice shiny new BG lad to carry out the annual safety check on the boiler (another feckin joke), and he tells the customer it is dangerous as she would have to remove oven in the case of an emergency to turn it off, she called me up and went mental , I went to the house with the area service manager of BG who couldn't have been more embarrassed, who had to explain to the customer that his engineer was wrong, I hate the way that older customers always think that "the gas Board" know better than anyone else and are some kind of authority

It annoys me when older RGIs still call British Gas the "Gas Board" !

It annoys me when "cisterns" are referred to as "tanks"!!
.....it also annoys me when career changers come into the industry thinking they know it all and clearly trip themselves up more often than not..;)

Its complete bolox of a rule anyway.How about you turn the gas on and off at the ecv!.you would need to check for a drop there after isolating and re instating the supply to the hob anyway

You mean you MUST carry out a TT at the meter after isolating hob at the isolation valve, to disconnect and reconnect?

Well I would, but I think that technically all you need to do is be sure the reinstated joint is not leaking with LDF.

Fireman..are you repeating what i said,in a different way,giving me a lesson in what you consider correct usage of the english language?Or is there a question there somewhere?

Whatever people think,its bloody stupid to insist on fukin around fitting an iso valve ,usually behind a cooker,which will never ever get used and is probably the most likely source of a leak.Not to mention two compression joints in a not very accessible place.

Whatever people think,its bloody stupid to insist on fukin around fitting an iso valve ,usually behind a cooker,which will never ever get used and is probably the most likely source of a leak.Not to mention two compression joints in a not very accessible place.

The majority of gas leaks I find are on the hob connection....having an isolating valve makes it so much quicker to find.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back