Gas pipe

DJM

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know that requests for estimates are not sensible, and I'm not expecting one here. What I would like is to get a feel for cheap, med, expensive without wasting trades time quoting for a small job. Cnat see the point is someone wasting fuel to look at it and say it easy but expensive due to time and travel.

I am insulating and redecorating the spare room and there is a gas valve sticking just proud of the floor boards. Obviously I could continue to live with it as we have for ages, but I'd prefer to get rid.

Assuming it's live (and I think it is) then it looks to be a replacement of valve with connector or rotate valve through 90 degrees, as what it feeds is capped off. Easy access as no carpet at moment and all boards can come up as required.

Will it be worth anybodys time and not be prohibitively expensive for me, or should I just live with it?

Sponsored Links
I have had two gas pipes capped off in the last year.

First was in the kitchen and I paid £45 to have it taken back to floor level. It is a concrete floor so couldn't go lower without digging out out.

Second was a gas fire connection in a suspended timber floor. It took weeks to get anyone interested in it. The guy that came insisted on tracing all the pipes in the ground floor so he could be sure he was disconnecting the right one. This was despite there being only 1 gas appliance in the house and it was connected in 22mm copper straight to the metre with everything else in black steel.this cost £90 to get removed.

Thanks for that reply. At that price I'd certainly consider it to save having a hole in the carpet over the square valve end.

This looks like a steel pipe, and I dont care if the pipe stays, just would like the valve level or below floorboards

Assuming that the rest of the gas system is good, then it's a 30 minute job plus traveling time. Lift the board for him and wire wool the pipe. £40 should be about right. Maybe have it done while you get the boiler serviced..... Cheaper still.

Sponsored Links
I would ask for a photo if possible.

Bit of a loss leader but usually I only charge £45 but that is hardly economic in London.

But it al depends on if I can come as I am passing or MUST come tomorrow only and between 11 -12 am only.

Tony

Bit of a loss leader but usually I only charge £45 but that is hardly economic in London.

But it al depends on if I can come as I am passing or MUST come tomorrow only and between 11 -12 am only.

Tony
Tony,
many thanks for the offer that sounds a great price.
Unfortunately for me I am at work in Portsmouth tomorrow

I was not making any offer to come to you, only saying what I do in accessible London.

Seems a reasonably straightforward job from the photos.

Show them to someone local and be available during the daytime for the lowest price.

Tony

Tony,
sorry misunderstood, but thanks fo rthe advice.

Generally can be available during the day so that shouldnt be a problem. Just need to find someone local now.

Tony

That looks very much like an offer to me. You on drugs again, Tony?

OP: that is not neccessarily a 30 min job, if you want the tee removing. We cannot tell where the leg leads to. Although you should get away with removing the short section and fitting the plug straight in the tee,whih IS apeice of cake. Test still have to be completed properly.

Looks an easy job to me. Depends how easily the short bit of pipe can be "persuaded" out of the T-piece though.

you are kidding ? what makes it awkward being steel ? its a twenty minute job max and thats testing up before and afterwards

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back