Capping off a gas pipe

notb665 said:
I have been charged a price I wasn't quoted for and I didn't agree on and which I think is too expensive. The job was to cap off a standard gas pipe which was supplying the gas fire. The pipe was under the floor boards which I removed and replaced. It took 5 minutes.

Could you tell me what would be a 'standard' charge for this? I have already investigated it locally and it does seem I have been overcharged.

I am considering complaining to the professional body they are affliated to.

Thank you.

My minimum attendance which includes up to 1 hour if needed is £50 + VAT. I always state this on the 'phone especially if it is a quick job like this ;)

Sponsored Links
Agile the before test is mandatory in this case. As the book says . A tightness test needs to be carried out . Before working on an existing installation,

For a simple disconnect I would charge approx 30 quid plus materials.

I actually decided to take my CORGI man on an actual job than show him all 3 jobs I had already done.

He was quite surprised but happy with my decision.

I put on a tightness test at arrival.
Turned off gas.
Disconnected appliance (fire)
Another t/test and relit all pilot lights.
Visually inspected other applainces and tested flueing.

All took 40 minutes.

Me corgiman was happy so I was happy.

Mind you I did charge 67 pounds for a quarter plug.

Gotta make your money eh!

Dave

giblets said:
yes but you guys have forgotton about the additional 2 minute test makin it 8 minutes
:?: :?: :?:

whats up giblets you forgotton what an additional tightness test is 2 mins + 2 mins after letby but before final tightness

Sponsored Links
yeah training these days and currently conducted by transco is additional 2 mins on test if and when required rob read earlier dispute of times for testing ;)

namsag said:
Could you put down clearer what you mean Doyle.

My sentiments entirely. Please give chapter & verse on these requirements and their source (and, no, I don't want quotes from Transco's training manual just hard, legistative facts.)

namsag said:
Could you put down clearer what you mean Doyle.

My sentiments entirely. Please give chapter & verse on these requirements and their source (and, no, I don't want quotes from Transco's training manual just hard, legistative facts.)

aint in transco its a acs thingy, in cases wher escape of gas ect are present and an additional tightness test is required over an extra 2 mins howelse yer gonna get a more precise reading of water guages when its borderline pass or fail.

Me niether scat

First I have heard of it

it seems to me we now have to undertake TWO tightness tests, one after the other?????

Gawd I wish I was ****ed up it may make sense then, I hate being on the wagon

:(

doyle said:
aint in transco its a acs thingy, in cases wher escape of gas ect are present and an additional tightness test is required over an extra 2 mins howelse yer gonna get a more precise reading of water guages when its borderline pass or fail.

Well it wasn't in my recent ACS course and I have no reason to doubt that my trainers/assesors would have mentioned it if they were aware of it. Sounds to me, if you are being trained by Transco, that this may be a "company policy" thing over and above the GS(I&R) Regs.

Having said that, I have yet to see a Transco engineer carry out a soundness test for the full 3 minutes + let-by.

I can see what you mean though. If there is an element of doubt after 2 mins then test for a further 2 mins. What happens if the element of doubt still exists - test for 24 hours? :rolleyes:

giblets said:
Having said that, I have yet to see a Transco engineer carry out a soundness test for the full 3 minutes + let-by.

Seen a few ECV's changed live before! :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back