Capping off a gas pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been charged a price I wasn't quoted for and I didn't agree on and which I think is too expensive. The job was to cap off a standard gas pipe which was supplying the gas fire. The pipe was under the floor boards which I removed and replaced. It took 5 minutes.

Could you tell me what would be a 'standard' charge for this? I have already investigated it locally and it does seem I have been overcharged.

I am considering complaining to the professional body they are affliated to.

Thank you.

Sponsored Links
How much was you charged,

I would have done that for £30 (thats my minimum)

You should have investigated locally before hand ;)

You will be wasting your time compaining to CORGI. They are only concerned with gas safety not the commercial side of the business.

Why did you not get an idea of the cost involved before you had the work done? By not doing so, you have given the operative carte blanche to charge what he likes.

There is no "standard charge" for this type of work - it all depends on what is involved.

Just out of interest, how much were you charged?

BTW I assume the operative carried out a full tightness test to your gas installation before and after capping the supply off.

Sponsored Links
Clearly you should have asked how much it was likely to cost BEFORE you called him out! Otherwise you are bound to pay his standard charge for the job! We always advise the likely charge if asked or not!

You have not stated where you live and costs do vary greatly across different parts of the country.

I dont see how anyone could have done the capping off and the safety checks within 5 minutes. Just the tightness test alone requires 3 minutes of timed testing so it seems that you have exagerated the short time taken and that reduces your credibility.

Within our normal primary service area in London, we would charge £65 plus any parking. That would cover capping off, safety checks and a visual check of the gas installation and all gas appliances.

Tony

yes that is the LET BY test

and far be it from me to champion Agile but he was talking about a Tightness test

:)

Touche. :oops:

TBH, he should have said a total of six minutes for both before & after tests. :LOL:

Yes, I did say "just the tightnes test" !

Its my view that any RGI who visits a property has a duty of care to visually check safety aspects like the earth bond and ventilation and fluing.

There are enough ways to be caught out on gas work that I always look at everything I can find.

Recently, I did a CP12 and noticed the previous RGI had not seen the DFE in the living room !!! That could have been serious !

Tony

yes but you guys have forgotton about the additional 2 minute test makin it 8 minutes so ner ner nerner nerrrrrrr :D :D :D and corgiman wants to be a teacher too hahahaha waaahaaaahahaha first dibs on yer tool kit corgi ;)

as for the guy who started this thread its your own fault shoulder left the floor boards down that way he would ahve had to graft a little for his money :eek:

I presume you mean the before and after test?

The before test is not mandatory!

Not testing before could mean you end up repairing other leaks for free so its very sensible to do it!

Or risky if you dont bother!

Remember some dodgey customers with a leak from steel pipe in concrete could call you to do a simple cap off and then expect you to mend their real leak for free!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back