Capping off a gas pipe

rob884 said:
giblets said:
Having said that, I have yet to see a Transco engineer carry out a soundness test for the full 3 minutes + let-by.

Seen a few ECV's changed live before! :eek:

How else are they going to do it?

as long as it is in a well ventiallated space with no chance of any ignition (light switches) then IMO there is no harm in snatching the ECV.

Sponsored Links
God knows who is training Doyle as Giblets says nothing about this in ACS and i also go for breakfast with 3 transco guys and several centrica guys every morning no mention of this. Must be someting trainer has made up

Corgiman there is a special bung kit that goes on main tap that then pushes a butterfly type valve down service pipe to stop gas coming out.

In the old days it was standard practise to get everything ready remove the main tap barrel and plug hole with a rag grease barrell and get it all back together. Pretty certain rules now is to work on live gas there should be 2 people

namsag said:
Corgiman there is a special bung kit that goes on main tap that then pushes a butterfly type valve down service pipe to stop gas coming out.

I did Know that but to use it the poor old transco bloke would HAVE to walk back to his van to get it, poor love ;)

Can`t expect them to carry more than a gauge and a pair of grips could put ther backs out :LOL:

Sponsored Links
well they can hardly carry even that nam, wot with the knuckle draggin and all

;)

For a semi concealed meter they are not allowed to change it themselves, they have to have a team out to cut off gas in street!

No just to replace the ecv. Can't see why it can't be snatched out in the open! But NG mates say it is new regulations. Same as working in a trench as mentioned above 2 man job and have to wear oxygen mask after one transco died a while back due to being overcome wih gas!

Yeah reason being how pipe enters box special kit won`t go down service pipe. Some NG engineers have the qualification and kit to squeeze off the service otherwise team req.

Corgiman they drag there nuckles because of the weight of the wallets in there hands. When the company split and we had the choice which side to go to we took pi#s out of mates that went transco because of the brain dead work, but between 30 an 35k a year for doing nothing really. Make ya think who where the mugs

I thought there is/was a gas tight bag that can be used to contain all the bits and is pulled over the valve and tightened up onto the pipe under the valve?

Agile If anyone would know about Gasbags i think your the man. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back