Gas Pressure Regulators on gas meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it normal for these regulators to hiss each time a boiler shuts off abruptly after a hot water tap is closed?

On two seperate installations I noticed this little hiss each time someone shuts the hot water tap quickly, and some gas escapes as well that you can smell.

At first I was not sure so i checked another property and the same thing happens, just a wee bit of hiss and a wee bit of smell. Not sure if this is norm or a fault. :confused:

(BTW, it was pure chance that I was taking my meter reading when my wife must have been using hot water as I could see the last 3 digis rolling fast and when she shut the water, the gas governor produced a very slight hiss and I brought my nose near and smelt some gas.) (Nothing alarming though)

Sponsored Links
no phone NG or your equivalent out to change it

Sponsored Links
i didnt mention supplier its a gas a leak so NG or equivalent

Thanks, it is all under control now, an RGI came and checked the gas pressure at the meter and said it was normal (20mbar) and given an all ok. He said the regulator diaphram moves to regulate pressure and vents excess air pressure (not the actual gas) as it tries to balance the pressure when gas is suddenly turned off, he demonstarted this by turning off the gas at the meter and then turning it back on, a hiss was heard, and he said that was perfectly normal to smell distinctive amount of gas like smell as that smell I though was gas like was infact from the jointing compund used and not the actual gas.

thanks for your input.

Pmsl of course you would pay someone to come out mike instead of getting NG out for free , and what readings was he getting on his gas sniffer as the diaphragm vented the jointing compound smell.
Why would it be jointing compound you only smell occasionally now instead of gasas this is not in the regulator so would not be coming out the breather hole ??

TBH with you I don't know why I asked this question on here when i could have just easily asked a friend of mine who is an RGI, to come and have a look and give me advice, hence it did not cost me anything, only just that I asked the question on here first as I thought I would get a quicker reply as i did not want to drag him here if he was busy, I do not pay him for small favours he does for me same as I do not charge him for favours I do for him. yes he checked for any leaks as well using his U gauge and as well as leak test spray to see if any joints were leaking, as I said that hiss i never heard before so I probably got alarmed unnecessarily.

but thanks for your post. Of course in the event of a true gas leak, it is obvious I would call the Gas emergency number given on my gas bill, and if the leak was past the meter end I would simply shut the gas off from the meter.

Breather hole will 'hiss' everytime diaphragm operates/closes. :rolleyes:

Thanks, and if the diaphragm was punctured, continuos gas would leak, which would cause an alarm, as the smell of leaking gas would be far far too strong and wouldn't go amiss.

Sometimes I am more scared to ask questions here than I am afraid of a leaking gas! :(

Wrong, a pinhole in diaphragm would not always leak continiously
And leak detection spray on JOINTS would not show this even used on breather hole it would not always show bubbles.

Considering its free to call out NG and they will change it for free and have proper gas detection equipement (not just a u gauge and spray) i do wonder why you posted the question .

By your history i think you were hoping for another answer then you could go off on one.

As for wanting a quick answer etc i dont think you would get any quicker than the 1 hour max it would take from your phone call to NG being in your house

Wrong, a pinhole in diaphragm would not always leak continiously
And leak detection spray on JOINTS would not show this even used on breather hole it would not always show bubbles.

Considering its free to call out NG and they will change it for free and have proper gas detection equipement (not just a u gauge and spray) i do wonder why you posted the question .

By your history i think you were hoping for another answer then you could go off on one.

As for wanting a quick answer etc i dont think you would get any quicker than the 1 hour max it would take from your phone call to NG being in your house

No it is not free, end of the day who will pay for the inconvenience when they have shut half my street down and evacuated people? all for a small hiss heard from the poxy gas regulator! with sirens and 5 firebrigades on standby! ediots!

and that is what they did when I once reported that one of their operatives had swapped a gas meter at an address, and they left the test nipple lose, which I had then tightened and stopped the leak, later on the team which turned up with their highly highly sensitive sniffing equipment found no leak, that is what they wrote in their report when they came just to make sure, even though I told them that I was simply reporting that their operstive had left a nipple lose!

And god's truth, they asked me to evacuate two neighbours on either side of this address, and needless to say I told the lady who took my call to stop repeating over and over as I reassured her that there was no longer a gas leak, I mean How thick do you have to be? thick as a plank! that is what most seem to be.

See i was right you did just want to rant and talk a pile of sh#te , your like an open book :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back