Stink of gas when boiler goes OFF?

and by turning that off its going to cure the problem f##kmesidewards what is so hard about calling out the free emergency service

Might not, not if the gas is coming from else where as in this Blast from the Past

http://tlhs.org.uk/takeley_telephone_exchange_explo.htm
http://tlhs.org.uk/Ray_Altham_telephone_exchange.htm
http://tlhs.org.uk/fire_brigade_takeley_telephone_exchange_explo.htm
http://tlhs.org.uk/Don_Dean_telephone_exchange.htm

( my excuse is an interest in telephone history )

EDIT too quote the whole of the quote

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Dont half quote me bernard.
i know exactly what the outcomes can be which is why my full statement says phone up the emergency service

Dont half quote me bernard.
i know exactly what the outcomes can be which is why my full statement says phone up the emergency service
So what exactly do you think they will do? that an RGI/GSE couldn't do 4 weeks earlier? will they fix his leak if it was upstream of meter or shut off his gas leaving him in cold? unable to do any heating or cooking or hot water.

it is called by many different names, one being gas stop cock, or gas shut down valve, it can be used to shut the gas even during non-emergencies. Only the RGIs call it by the name you mentioned, I know it is hard for you to believe but google and see how many sites use the name I prefer using.
http://www.nisbets.co.uk/asset/en/product/xlarge/y913.jpg

In plain English shut down or shut off means the same thing.
If you have to give advice then @ least use the correct terminology.
Incorrect terminology being used is a sure sign of the armchair goggler...

Sponsored Links
Really hard to do any cooking or have a bath if your house and the neighbours houses have disappeared .
Lets think of a scenario be cold for a couple of days or be alive and homeless or worse still dead
As i said you really do not have a clue what the remit of the emergency service provider is and were lines get drawn

Wow FFS humans really do like to have a go at each other!

Shut the gas mains off last night.

Had gas appliance people out today. Very slight leak at the heat exchanger to burner gasket. Negligible they say but gasket ordered great timing on the boilers part. I will never touch Logic boilers again we've had 5 years of pain with it.

Scary thing though lounge monoxide detector and upstairs landing detector were both going off. Boiler is in rear lean too washroom which was two shut doors away. Engineer can't see how this negligible leak has been the cause.

We have a wood burner in the room with the detector that went off but it hadn't been used for two days!

No were detached. The gas man asked these type of questions. No petrol mowers running etc we had nothing to report. We have a quiet road one side grass lane behind etc were in a town but not close to things.

Wed been out 5hrs boiler left on for downstairs heating. All windows doors etc bolted for security. Even trical vents on windows are closed for winter.

well that rules out CO ingress from neighbours appliances, a gas leak will not cause a CO alarm to go off

Is it possible for CO to be produced as a wood burner burns itself out and the heat drops off cooling the flue and not having enough heat draft to clear it.

It is then stuck in a cold column of gas in the flu to then be pushed back into the room by an oddly warm day a couple of days later.

Pretty far fetched I know!

Am I dreaming up ridiculous scenarios in a quest for an answer

If it was still in embers/smoldering thus still actually in effect burning then yes , weather conditions can stop even the most affective flue from pulling properly as can position of house during these conditions houses in dips /valleys would fail a test one day a pull like a train the next.

So is there a best operation method at night with a wood burner. Shut the air valves and kill the fire before you head to bed or full open it and try and burn it off.

We leave it at the setting it's been burning at which is allways best operation on the flu pipe thermometer. Then say don't bother putting another stick on well head to bed after the news! The stove would be left as is we wouldn't adjust anything again until it was relit the next afternoon.

Have you considered the drafty weather we have had recently, can the flue gasses somehow get drafted back into the house due to high winds.

Right now if you are having problems with your CO detectors going off get a couple of fan heaters for safety till your boiler gets sorted out.

Last edited:
Wow FFS humans really do like to have a go at each other!

Shut the gas mains off last night.

Had gas appliance people out today. Very slight leak at the heat exchanger to burner gasket. Negligible they say but gasket ordered great timing on the boilers part. I will never touch Logic boilers again we've had 5 years of pain with it.

Scary thing though lounge monoxide detector and upstairs landing detector were both going off. Boiler is in rear lean too washroom which was two shut doors away. Engineer can't see how this negligible leak has been the cause.

We have a wood burner in the room with the detector that went off but it hadn't been used for two days!
just out of curiosity, did they perform the flue analysis and did they give you a little print out or told you if all the readings were Ok and within the required limits? what was your CO reading? this is just out of interest as I had mine serviced yesterday and the RGE gave me a print out of mine which said the following :
O2 %: 12.6
CO (PPM) 1
CO2 % 4.7
Ratio: 0.0000
pressure mbars 0.04

XS air % 150.8

he told me that my boiler was behaving really good with hardly any CO contents.
This was done whilst boiler was on full hot water heating.

Last edited:
just out of curiosity, did they perform the flue analysis and did they give you a little print out or told you if all the readings were Ok and within the required limits? what was your CO reading? this is just out of interest as I had mine serviced yesterday and the RGE gave me a print out of mine which said the following :
O2 %: 12.6
CO (PPM) 1
CO2 % 4.7
Ratio: 0.0000
pressure mbars 0.04

XS air % 150.8

So a ratio of 0.0000.........have a look @ the FGA printout again and post back with the correct readings...
Who do you think you're trying to kid???????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back