Stink of gas when boiler goes OFF?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
My boiler is a Logic 30 and around 5 years old.
At night when it goes off it stinks of gas in the utility room. No smell at start up or normal operation in the day on heating or hot water settings but when it finally goes off at night it stinks.

I told the engineer this when it was serviced about 4 weeks ago and he found no faults after leak testing the gas line from the meter and the soapy water test on various joints in the boiler and the gas valve below it.

I can find explanations for gas smells on start up but not on shut down.

Is there any known obvious explanation for this?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
how about a gas man going round with an electronic sniffer to try and pinpoint the source of the leak.

Sponsored Links
If the house is still there .
For first time ever Bernard has given the best and correct advice . They are out within 1 hour and not only make sure the appliance is safe they make sure the house is safe

The forum will not let me reply as it thinks I am not qualified. Bigboys club looks after its own, but they can say what they think about oil.

You only have to turn off your gas stop valve at the meter immediately after the boiler shuts down for the night, and then see if you can still smell any gas. (Unless someone is now going to say you are not allowed to touch gas shut down valve or you have to be registered to do so)

OP didn't say if the gas smell stays on all night or if it vanishes after a while.

It's called an "Emergency Control Valve" numbnuts. And of course you can use it.
it is called by many different names, one being gas stop cock, or gas shut down valve, it can be used to shut the gas even during non-emergencies. Only the RGIs call it by the name you mentioned, I know it is hard for you to believe but google and see how many sites use the name I prefer using.
http://www.nisbets.co.uk/asset/en/product/xlarge/y913.jpg

In plain English shut down or shut off means the same thing.

Last edited:
and by turning that off its going to cure the problem f##kmesidewards what is so hard about calling out the free emergency service

LOL! I might try that (sidewards) I didn't say it would cure the problem if one does exist, there is always a possibility that someone may interpret smell of faulty drain, or a similar smell, I had that in my house when I thought I could smell a very weak gas like smell, turned out to be cat's pi55! Luckily the gas meter was fitted outside in a box so when you isolate the gas supply, there should be no gas smell upstream of the meter.

Now if I had called gas emergency and they were unable to locate a leak, they would have either given me all Ok or TOFO my supply and seal off my meter (cap it) and would have asked me to book an RGI, who would have spent a good few hours trying to locate a leak that doesn't exists.

Last edited:
with a bit of luck te OP isnt a manky feker who lets a cat **** in his house.
i dont think you really know how tofo works and are merely googling previous replies in here.

it is called by many different names, one being gas stop cock, or gas shut down valve, it can be used to shut the gas even during non-emergencies. Only the RGIs call it by the name you mentioned, I know it is hard for you to believe but google and see how many sites use the name I prefer using.
http://www.nisbets.co.uk/asset/en/product/xlarge/y913.jpg

In plain English shut down or shut off means the same thing.

For starters Nisbets is a catering equipment supplier and has nothing to do with domestic gas pipework in the home.

The link you have provided shows an advice notice that is placed by any internal shut off valve be it manual or electric to ensure that gas can be shut off "locally" to the issue. These are not MCVs'

So NO, in plain English, these are not the same thing at all.

Jon

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back