Gas run hard up against wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Have a tricky external gas run to do. 28mm pipe, with about 5 soil stacks to get around or go behind. Was wondering if any of the installers out there have any suggestions for such situations. If the 28mm pipe is clipped with closeable pipe clips then it will not get behind the soil stacks. It would fit behind the downpipes if it were clipped hard against the wall with saddle clips but then the copper would be touching the bricks & pointing. Can I just wrap in denzo tape or has it got to be a certain distance from the masonry?

Ta

Sponsored Links
its only an NCS mate

I always use stand off clips, only cos I never thought of wrapping it thou :)

I dont see why that should be not allowed

I would approach the problem from the other direction!

There are few strict requirements for soil or rain pipes so I would force that out 15 mm further with a spacer and let the gas pipe run according to the regulations. CORGI cannot complain about that !!!

Tony

Agile said:
I would approach the problem from the other direction!

There are few strict requirements for soil or rain pipes so I would force that out 15 mm further with a spacer and let the gas pipe run according to the regulations. CORGI cannot complain about that !!!

Tony

Bet they will give it a good go thou matey :)

Sponsored Links
asked corgi last year whether you could run two parralel 15 mm pipes fed at one end by 22mm and teed together at the other end to 22mm to feed combi, due to restricted space between concrete floor and floorboards. they said , as long as pressures at boiler was o.k , then it was fine.

Yes Fitz, but to replace a 28 mm Paul would need about five 15 mm tubes in parallel !

I suppose he could paint them green and pretend they were ivy ?

Tony

There's not much point using two pipes if you're only going to save 6mm, and one of them would have 4 elbows in it at each bypass if the other one's straight! I expect 5ft of 22mm wouldn't be much problem. I squashed some 28mm once (in a vice) to make it flatter. Making 5 neat bits would be time consuming though!

The need to space the pipe from the wall is definitely only about corrosion from water etc running down the wall so some sort of protection should be ok. (Flashband looks better than yellow plastic!)

Watch the pipe clips, some clip-top ones aren't UV stable. Talon were moving to UV stable materials last time I asked, and also they do do BROWN clips, which look a darned site better outside. Metal clips usually corrode one way or another and look grotty after a while.

I wonder what the CORGI view would be of "squashed pipe" ?

And what squash factor can you achieve without increasing the resistance significantly? Up to 2:1 ???

Tony

Squashed pipes are common enough on the old "compo" meter tails. A moderately squashed pipe will have negligible effect on resistance since the length of pipe involved is so short. However with copper pipe it could be argued that a squashed pipe is a damaged, weakened pipe.

Yes, I've been considering Tracpipe. Maybe thats the best way to go.

I ain't paying for it ;)

I partially annealed it first, by heat, which increases the plastic elongation to fracture.
Whereas when you put in in the bender you do nothing to it first.. ;)

I partially annealed it first, by heat, which increases the plastic elongation to fracture.
Whereas when you put in in the bender you do nothing to it first.. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back