Gas Safe required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My old man is having his kitchen redone and his cooker is electric at the moment. The builders/electrician tag team we were looking to employ say they can fit a new gas pipe for the new cooker and and that no certification is required.

Does this sound right?

Sponsored Links
No they need to be gas safe registered and cert for cooking appliances to work on same.

proceed with caution with what you have been told.

They are completely lying to you or they are extremely incompetent. Either way, get rid of them. They sound like cowboys.

Lying b'stards!! they need a Gas Asfe Registration and ACS - CCN1 AND CKR1 - what is true is that the work is not notifiable, make sure you look at the fitters GSR card especially the picture on the front and the list of Competencies on the back

WARNING! Some of the worst Gas work I have seen in use has been carried out by non- registered Kitchen fitters, the worst case was a cooker hose fitted back to fron with the bayonet fitted to the ccoker meaning if the hose was unplugged gas would escape from the open hose end!! (it was RIDDOR'd) ;)

Sponsored Links
Why would they need CKR1 just to run a gas supply, CCN1 is sufficient just for the pipework

Just going by the first post, they said that they can fit a new supply, nothing mentioned about the cooker, they do need to be Gas Safe registered to do the pipework, but only need CCN1 for for the pipe.
Just saying, don't want to get into a long, drawn out boring debate about it though :)

If they just put a pipe in so its behind units etc without it being connected either end then technically they are allowed because at that stage its not a gas pipe.
When its actually connected the person doing this will have to be registered

Another thing to consider Is will you get anyone to work on it in the future, if its evident its a fairly new pipe/ kitchen i'd be asking who had fitted it. Then of course you would be asking the gas registered installing your cooker to trust the quality of workmanship these guys have done. Personally I wouldn't use the pipe if I knew it was fitted by another trade. We are required to inspect and test joints on newly installed gas piping.
Best get a gas safe installer to put the pipe in before kitchen goes in and connect to supply and test. The cooker can then be fitted later.

Whoever is fitting your cooker needs to be gas safe, ask them to show you there gas safe card, all engineers carry one. If you are unsure go on the gas safe web site to check them out.

Yes they were going to fit the cooker to the supply.

I had a gas safe guy quote for the work since posting, and he says it'll cost ~£500 :eek: and that we're probably best of sticking with an electric cooker.

Off to find out why this builder is BSing me, although he also said to stick with electric.

Thanks

If they just put a pipe in so its behind units etc without it being connected either end then technically they are allowed because at that stage its not a gas pipe.
When its actually connected the person doing this will have to be registered

Not quite mate, HSE's view is that if it is intended to be used to carry gas, then its a gas pipe. You are installing it with the direct intention for it to carry gas, therefore falls within scope of GSIUR

Yes they were going to fit the cooker to the supply.

I had a gas safe guy quote for the work since posting, and he says it'll cost ~£500 :shock: and that we're probably best of sticking with an electric cooker.

Off to find out why this builder is BSing me, although he also said to stick with electric.

Thanks

Was he a mate of the kitchen fitters? That is a lot of pipework!! :eek: ;)

davegas if you phone gas safe they will tell you something different there was a thread on it recently in the CC .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back