gas spillage test

Just to add my two pennyworth. :LOL:

It don't sound like he did the test properly, warmed the flue etc.

Who's to say he put the smoke match in the right place.

Make and model of the fire would be good.

Personally I would get another RGI with a gas fire ticket to check it out.

Sponsored Links
A successful smoke test is when the majority of the smoke goes up the flue but its the RGI's place to make a judgement.

I just had the pleasure of telling someone that the 2 flueless fires that his missus wanted so much were not going to be fitted by me. Full bay window at the front and full width patio at the back. Nowhere to put all them lovely air vents. Lead pipes going down under the wooden passage floor. "Dont worry" he says "Those pipes running under the concrete floor have been renewed in copper and wrapped in Denso tape"
DFE's are bad enough, at least the POC's have somewhere to go but I wonder who got the brown envelopes to allow the re-introduction of flueless fires.

Think when I'm all qualified and Corgi registerd I'm just going to refuse to fit open flued gas fires, don't think I could live with the guilt if someone died from my work.

My dad fitted our gas fires when I was living at home, with only knowledge of turning the gas off, a bit of soldering, and connecting a flue, he didn't have a clue on any tests, it really hits home, we could have died.

then why are you aiming to get fully qualified. the definition of a qualified gas engineer is a person who has shown competency in the areas he is qualified. if gas fires frighten your competency, then do not waste your time on the other elements. believe me they all create there own problems, you have to asses and judge is it safe or not what happens when you turn up to a sooted up bbu or floor standing boiler? do you stop working on them as well .I am not trying to be funny just pointing out this is this industry, and what you will face. remember when I first qualified used to worry like hell did i do this did I do that. experience will remove most of it. but its not an easy ride and no room for complacency. but can be very rewarding. like when you do go out to an opened flued appliance find a major fault causing spillage. You have then played your part in protecting the home owners safety.

Sponsored Links
absolutely the right thing to do, i have seen flues that work great in summer but come winter and the wall/ flue is cold no chance. i 've seen a perfectly servicable bbu that has been in place 20 years with a traceable and complete service history fail a flue test on the day because of high winds.
the RGI was acting in your best interests. would you rather he didnt..

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back