gas supply to combi

shaggy you need to ask that question to corgi/hse they make the guidelines the rest of us try to work to,hope this helps:cool:

Sponsored Links
You are normally a very helpful guy bripl, but in this case your suggestion doesn't help. DP made the statement so I'm asking him what his opinion is.

DP yes i am, but i would not have to be corgi registered to be competent. What makes me compent is being a time served gas service engineer with 25 years experience in every aspect of gas engineering, not just boiler maintenance and installation the most people get away with and passin all the new exams that come our way with flying colours.Iwould like to see everyone take the ACS exam the way BG put there guys through it and not the way i have seen it done out there in the so called real world where two mates passed it in less than eight hours as well as helping the instructor take the class or the guy who had failed it 8 times and was given a pass because quote "he must have picked something up in that time" . I will ask you who is the most competent the guy who works for transco but has 30 years experience in the job is time served and seen and worked on more appliances than most people have had hot dinners but is not corgi . Or the guy who has just took up the trade 3 months ago passes his ACS in one of poorly regulated centres and gets his corgi ticket straight away. The law says it`s the later but i know who i would be having work in my house given the choice. So in reality all it is is a little bit of paper that doesn`t mean that much in the real world

I will take my had off to a guy with experience anyday.

Reading these pages gives one the wrong vibes when they say that they are competent just because they have done a little bit of plumbing or some such thing.

Sponsored Links
I just wish the government stop mucking about, they haven't got a clue because the world owe them a living, so why not just let the corgi register do the gas work & not the diy'er, if they do wrong then like everything in life, fine them and believe it or not you cannot smell gas, I work in the oil refinery and we put in a odour smell in it so you can smell the gas !!!!!!!

gas has a man made substance added for safety reasons do not get the stenching agent on your overalls or spilt in your van,serious cleaning effort!

DP's last comment is right. A diy'er who doesn't know what to do isn't competent. Just because some corgi regd guys are bad doesn't mean that being competent enough to be corgi regd is a waste of time.

A recent Minister for Education reminded us that plumbers were often school drop-outs. Maybe they're the ones it takes 25 years to learn how to put a gas supply in.

There are all sorts in plumbing. There's certaily no shortage of cynical old p***s doing things wrong while thinking they know better than the current regs. They often like to try to take the p*** out of anyone younger, or with a better brain, than them. Avoid!

Some very good points in all these posts. Isn't it the case however that even if your a first class diy er and are competant enough to do your own gas installation. If something does go wrong you have no insurance or comeback to cover you.
CORGI reg doesn't prove competance, ACS is supposed to do that CORGI reg is something inflicted upon people working with gas to allow them to work for gain.
Whats going to happen if and when CORGI lose there monopoly as is bound to happen under european legislation.

" if and when CORGI lose there monopoly "

Don't think they will, any more than NICEIC, RCS etc. Also HSE matters aren't subject to EEC overrule so far.

And it's "their"!

Chris just wondering would you class yourself as one of those cynical old p**** who think they know better than the regs, as on a recent thread about a boiler rightly turned off and I D because of a holed casing you recommended turning it back on and sealing hole with a heat resistant sealant which if you phoned corgi you will find it is know a definite no no and against regs. just wondering

would have to agree with namsag, chris does give some pretty dodgy advice on gas safety now and again

all this bitching helps no one all corgi registered persons should unite and voice their concerns about the need to change the law and ban the sale of appliances/spares to only registered persons.on the spares front stop all these nasty copies and fit manufacturers parts only even if you know they are crap then the manufacturers might start producing quality products like they use too instead of unreliable piles that infest peoples homes
visit www.argi.co.uk and voice your opions there,these people are trying to help sort some of the problems within the gas industry.maybe i am wrong but chris r you appear to have some sort of problem about understanding the installation and use regulations heat resistant mastic tut tut :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back