Gas supply to new hob

Danthe gas i know the regs i was asking someone else if they did.
Majority of carcasses tested with Nitrogen ,in the domestic market eh i dont think so

Sponsored Links
@gaswizard
Hmmm. Last time I tested LPG, on a domestic it has 5 minutes to stabilise. As such I suggest that it is you that needs to have another read.

@namsag
Sorry dude, looked like a genuine question and it got a genuine answer. And yeah, probably too many domestics on a forum like this... For the beneft of disclaimers, you don't need nitrogen to test all gas carcasses, other, more effective ways of killing you/family/friends are available to gas DIYers.

@gaswizard
Hmmm. Last time I tested LPG, on a domestic it has 5 minutes to stabilise. As such I suggest that it is you that needs to have another read.

Have a read of IGEM/UP/1B Edition 3 page 21 onwards, you'll be surprised, I was.

@gaswizard

Have a read of IGEM/UP/1B Edition 3 page 21 onwards, you'll be surprised, I was.

Not the great Edition 3 that's been in print for a week or two, at a £101 quid yet another rip-off.

At this time I would say less than 1% of RGI's have a copy, lets hope it stays that way.

Sponsored Links
Not the great Edition 3 that's been in print for a week or two, at a £101 quid yet another rip-off.

At this time I would say less than 1% of RGI's have a copy, lets hope it stays that way.

If you're a sole trader or small business then signup for the standards subscription, it makes such a difference to the wallet. And for Joe public, it is part of the gas registration scheme that all RGIs have access to these books and there are hundreds of them, which is yet another reason why we charge so much. £60+ hour seems like a lot, but our overheads are very high.

I have to say that I disagree that "it stays that way". What kind of a message is that putting out there? If we ignore the current editions, then we might as well go back to Mike's opinion that 30yr old practices are also acceptable.

It may also vary your test times as you no longer have let-by and depending on the medium; your stabilisation may vary.

Test medium being air or fuel gas , in this case we are talking natural gas as the fuel (who mentioned LPG?) , temperature stabilisation time is a minimum of 15 minutes or the length of the tightness test duration , whichever is the greatest (1/1a), now if you want to discuss LPG then feel free. :LOL:

You also failed to warn us mere mortals of the issues associated with air testing (F3) when using the regin premier gauge. :eek:

I have to say that I disagree that "it stays that way". What kind of a message is that putting out there? If we ignore the current editions, then we might as well go back to Mike's opinion that 30yr old practices are also acceptable.

So what's in edition 3 that wouldn't fit on a 2 page addendum :rolleyes:

All the BullS**t regs are a money making racket and you know it.

Control Freaks in suits just like Gov.Con with their snouts in the trough

@ Dan the Gas.

One must take the circumstances into consideration as to why I had to resort to using diluted fairy liquid solution to test for a gas leak. Which I now know is not reccomended as the technology in material science has evolved and we now have alternative materials more suitable for testing for such leaks.

So it is now not reccomended to use washing up liquid in a solution to test for gas leaks, and therefore I am not advocating anyone using it for testing for gas leaks on copper pipes as a small amount of ammonia present in washing up liquids is harmful to copper.

So the argument is now closed, and I have learnt something new indeed.

May be if it were anyone else, they might have called the Emergency Gas Number, if they felt that it was beyond their ability to detect and secure a small gas leak through a loose test nipple.

To me it was just a minor incident, not requiring any high level of skills to just tighten a small screw to stop the minute gas leak.

I might have broken the law, but then that is where the Judges comes into, they decide each case based on the mitigating circumstences.

If they want to kick my backside, so be it, I won't like it, but what choice have I got, and I just hope while I am in the HMP, I hope they don't get any gas leaks there, as I will just spring into action!

@mike
The circumstances could be mitigating in a court, but obviously it cannot be condoned as it is still against the law of the lands to which we reside. I feel that you have put some good arguments across, but have been very pushy in some of your wording that suggests you know more about gas than a gas operative. Some comments were even derogatory which is why a thread about a gas hob has gone so far.

I remember being newly qualified and attending a leak on a meter, tightened up the inlet union on a meter with a new washer and as I pulled against myself, the ECV sheared off and I had a 1" live barrel pouring gas out at full bore. The rules are only here to protect against dodgy workman and genuine accidents and human error.

@doitall
Amen. Could not agree more, ammendments and supplementary documents would be more sensible and probably encourage more users to get them and read the changes.

@gaswizard
You are right, but nobody has said the fuel gas was natural either. We could split so many hairs on this, I was just a little mythed that you told me to go read.

As for the premiere gauge, that blue liquid hurts when it gets you in the eye from a 300bar regged to 50 bottle of OFN. Bloody good fun though.

That's the problem you see Dan, some suit sat in a Court thinks we have a duty to care.

Now lets say the old boy next door (74) knocks on the door saying the house is full of gas, can you help me scruff please, beg, grovel.

Therefore we have a major problem, do I illegally help him, say sod off and risk him blowing my house up as well, rush round and warn the other neighbour to evacuate, or just run like ferk.

Does duty of care over ride common sense and illegal gas work, and would I get done if I didn't Do.

Another interesting case.

Walking home at night a young girl collapses and not a sole in sight, do I keep walking or try to help and risk getting done for molestation or worse.

That's the problem you see Dan, some suit sat in a Court thinks we have a duty to care.

Now lets say the old boy next door (74) knocks on the door saying the house is full of gas, can you help me scruff please, beg, grovel.

Therefore we have a major problem, do I illegally help him, say s** off and risk him blowing my house up as well, rush round and warn the other neighbour to evacuate, or just run like ferk.

Does duty of care over ride common sense and illegal gas work, and would I get done if I didn't Do.

Another interesting case.

Walking home at night a young girl collapses and not a sole in sight, do I keep walking or try to help and risk getting done for molestation or worse.

In the UK.

There is no legal duty of care upon you in either situation.

What you are talking about are Good Samaritan acts and whether you would be protected by the law if you helped out and maybe messed up. In those events the law is quite sensible.

@gaswizard
You are right, but nobody has said the fuel gas was natural either. We could split so many hairs on this, I was just a little mythed that you told me to go read.
I was also a little 'mythed' that you had to swing those big kahoonas and talk about commercial. ;)

As for the premiere gauge, that blue liquid hurts when it gets you in the eye from a 300bar regged to 50 bottle of OFN. Bloody good fun though.

Not so much getting it in the eye as opposed to gauge readable movement (IV in excess of .0298 m3 (1b) when air testing then premier gauge a big No No ) , as I said go read those books again. :LOL: (although you won't find it ;) )

We can all throw those big kahoonas around. :LOL: :LOL:

Just messing with you Danthegasman. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back