Gas usage is very high - and our hot water is always on?

The Boiler is a Gloworm Fuelsaver. Made not far from me in Belper, Derbyshire. Gloworm is now part of Vailiant. Its a conventional boiler, nothing fancy - no modulation or anything sexy like that.

I thought it might be a Gloworm, because the gold bottom panel looked like our original boiler, but I didn't want to get chewed up by certain members for suggesting a Gloworm :rolleyes: - Very reliable, nowt much to go wrong and very cheap to repair.

Sponsored Links
More than likely

There is still the mystery of the pump running with the time clock set to off on both HW and CH ? It should not be running!

OP - Could you try turning that switch off on the left, in the airing cupboard, to see if the light on the pump goes off please and report?

Sponsored Links
There is still the mystery of the pump running with the time clock set to off on both HW and CH ? It should not be running!

Most, if not all, of the standard wiring plans take the feed for microswitch in the zone valve from the perm live side of the programmer not from either of the switched outputs (to prevent backfeed). This means that if the microswitch is active, for whatever reason, the system will run respective of whether the programmer is calling for it to run.

Well, no sign of @DomLeps returning to this thread thus far, to give us feedback on our input, however...

I'd also be checking the meter reading over a 24hr period as there may also be a fault on this, or the utility company are not getting proper readings and could be estimating usage.
Unless the OP is using copious amounts of hot water, the "always on" setting for hot water should not result in such high gas usage.
An overheat fault would result in scalding hot water and that hasn't been mentioned/reported by the OP.

That boiler's pretty much obsolete..
The stats turned down to 1 so the cylinder stat will never be satisfied...and the system will cycle all the time there's a clock demand.
Turn the stat up and it will probably kettle from scale.
Rip it all out :)

The stats turned down to 1 so the cylinder stat will never be satisfied...and the system will cycle all the time there's a clock demand.

The OP might have turned that down, in the hope of working out what was going wrong with the system, but we will not know unless he gets back to us..

Have you checked that the 'Override' switch on the controller (post #6, pic 5) hasn't been set to (or is stuck in) the override position?

Have you checked that the 'Override' switch on the controller (post #6, pic 5) hasn't been set to (or is stuck in) the override position?
If it was there would be an on indication on the LCD display

I don't speak Potterton, and I find their control markings ambiguous. Is either switch in the pic below set in the 'override' position?
Override.PNG

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back