Gas!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ah not that type off gas question that gets everyone uptight and CC private and all gas-headed!
Torches!
Please someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of the gases that are available for these to solder with?
Butane
Propane
Mixed

Sponsored Links
Use standard propane if you can drain the pipework properly. If not use a wet-vac. A lot of general problems with soldering are when the pipework is heated too much and burnes off the flux.

Mapp heats the pipe to a hotter temperature - sometimes a godsend at lower level water pipes that are nearly dry.

Just my opinion PBod.

EDIT: Just have read Dans..... he has hit the nail on the head. He types quicker than me :oops:

Mr. W.

Butane has a higher calorific value than propane, but is hopeless in cold weather.
Propane is the preferred choice for general use, with a gas mixture somewhere in between.
Mapp is much hotter, and also carries its own oxygen - so when you stick the nozzle inside an aperture (!) it carries on burning. Its easy to overcook plumbing fittings with this! However, it will braze small section mild steel which is a real bonus.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Always used propane have never had a prob with it so never tried the others cheaper to at £4 a bottle and the bottle also doubles up as a hammer when you cant be arsed going to get proper one :LOL:

So propane (Mapp) is the preferred professionally choice and butane really has no advantages other than having higher calorific value (which I guess is no god if your watching your figure)
So having a higher calorific value, must have something to do with energy properties any chance of an elaboration?

Also regarding torches:
I bought a "Rothenberger 2" some time ago, the claims are it works in any position. Alas this seems to not be the case and quite often when in the ceiling void when the torch is upside down it struggles, is this common of all torches? and is there any preferred types, makes models?
I understand that the torches that are connected to the small gas cylinders via rubber hose, which have the interchangeable nozzles deal with this, are they suitable for domestic installs ie 15/22mm standard od piping?

small gas cylinders via rubber hose, which have the interchangeable nozzles deal with this, are they suitable for domestic installs ie 15/22mm standard od piping?

I am a DIY. My weapons of choice are:

£35 Bullfinch 110P burner and hose off eBay
£5 Bulfinch 1220 nozzle (smaller than the standard fitment) from eBay
£5 Calor gas bottle (empty!) from eBay
£13 Calor bottle exchange (smallest propane, about 40cm cubed).

Total outlay just shy of £60. Have done plenty of soldering here as well as at gf's parents. It does go out sometimes in confined spaces as you say. Not sure how much gas is left but I reckon it's cheaper overall than the little DIY screw-on bottle/nozzle arrangements.

I did consider butane for a while but as mentioned the low temperature problem put me off. Also, remember that just because a gas has a higher calorific value per kg it doesn't necessarily mean it can burn any quicker.

Ah not that type off gas question that gets everyone uptight and CC private and all gas-headed!
Torches!
Please someone explain the advantages and disadvantages of the gases that are available for these to solder with?
Butane
Propane
Mixed

Mapp for small brazing jobs, but normally Oxy/Act.
Oxy/Act for steel pipe welding or MIG for steel pipe welding.
Propane or Mapp for soldering.
Butane for making the tea.

God Save The Queen!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back