gasfitter screwed me over.....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just tried to fit my oven in the housing under the gas hob..
but the guy that plumbed it in has screwed me over..
rather than use elbows to keep the pipe tight to the underside of the counter top until it reaches the wall, he's put a stupid valve thing in which means that the pipe goes straight down for 4 inches making pushing the oven back impossible..

now I realise that one has to be fitted but he could have gone to the wall first and fitted it there..
there is 2 inches clearance on top of the oven for this reason, but the valve is just in the wrong place..

so now I've had to swap the oven into the next unit and put the draw and door from that unit under the hob...

Sponsored Links
Well you've had a good moan about it. Did you have the oven there for the guy to check the clearances? Did you give him the clearances he needed?

so now I've had to swap the oven into the next unit and put the draw and door from that unit under the hob...

Theres no law that says the oven should be below the hob. The benefit now is that you can more easily isolate the hob if it gets a problem. Well done for figuring out an easy solution.

Why dont you get the job done again and stop moving the kitchen to suit a job that shouldn't cost an awful lot to put right.

Just an idea.

Sponsored Links
I would also be asking if the hob was on site so that the hob could be fitted to allow oven insertion after hob fitted.

There are ovens that would have fitted the pipe run that is in place.

Very easy to blame someone else for your mistake. If the fitter is blameworthy, I wonder why you have not called him to rectify his mistake..

not the neatest pipework install! drawer bracket on picture explains why it's been installed that way.

If you want the cooker to be below the hob then the isolation valve will have to be moved into an adajacent cupboard to allow accessablity to it anyway

Both at fault YOU for not having the oven there to check or not mentioning to him what was going there,
Him for not uising common sense and realisin 90 percent of ovens are fitted under hob and very little room to play with usually so tap should not have been fitted there

i agree it looks like a poxy installation, aint he heard of benders ??? i would defo get the fella back and say to him that u have an oven going there and could it be re-plumbed, it looks like he only took a few minutes piping it anyway

riddor it :idea: the hob has not been fitted to the mi's
poor workmanship
unsecured appliance ;)
pay peanuts get monkeys springs to mind :LOL:

I like thefact he could have easily used a hole saw but instead seems to have just boshed a chunk out of the back of the unit with a lump hammer.

looks like a WC connector has been used for the isolator is that actually a gas rated tap?
as said a bodge job by the look of it. did you hold his horse whilst he did the job?

Firstly I also wonder if it is a gas rated isolating valve.

I also never fit the isolator behind the oven. I would have used a 90 1/2" fitting, gone through the cupboard to the right, put the isolator in there and then came back to attach to the gas point at an appropriate place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back