GATE CLOSING SPRING HELP!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying ot fit somthing as simple as a gate closing spring, But i am struggling to get it to tension up, In theory it looks a simple job, but for the life of me i cannot get the little pins that ( I think at least) as to supposed to stop the spring turning to stay in the little holes, and as soon as i put any tension on the spring the catch pin escapes, Below is a little piccy of the offending item, HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPERIENCE OF THESE BLOODY THINGS and if so, HELP!!!!! :cry:

Sponsored Links
heres the pic :oops:
IMG_0513.jpg

Yes.
Are you putting the tension on the right way. I have not had any problems

what i am trying to do, is put a peg into one of the holes on one end of the spring (with the spring fixed to the gate), then by hand rotate the spring until the peg catches onto the fixing bracket an thus stopping the spring turning, then tension the spring with the bar supplied at the other end of the spring, Im assuming if you are able to get the desired tension you pop the other peg in and that keeps the spring under tension, BUT i cant get any tension as the pegs keep popping out, As far as i can see, there is no handed way to set the tension, so what am i doing wrong :oops: :oops: :oops:

Sponsored Links
You need to tension the spring you have pictured, in an anti-clockwise direction, this will close the coils up, which will then try to open in operation. Opening your gate will also tighten the coils a little more.

This type of spring should be fitted as near vertical as possible, so as the coils try to unwrap it will close your gate.

Do not fit horizontal, it is not designed to bend along its length......

Thanks for the help. but the problem im having is that i cant get the spring to anchor at one end, as when i put a PIN (1) into a locating hole (2) its supposed to jam against the mounting bracket (3) and stop the spring from turning so that it can be tensioned. BUT, the pins seem to me to be too small and its locating hole too big, and just slips out as any tension is put on the spring. CHEERS for keeping the help coming though!!!
Img_0513-1.jpg

I,m with what you are saying, but the couple I have fitted (many years ago) did not have such a problem.

What you could do is drill all the way through, and use a longer pin or a bolt......That would definitely work.

thats what im going to do!, thanks for trying to help mate! ive a good mind to take it back to B&Q

I had one of these as well (bought from a small ironmongers) and had the same problem with the the pins falling out. Glad its not just me.

Ive had problems with some i have fitted. The cheaper they are, the worse they seem.
Usually drill it slightly and put a self tapper in instead ;)

Ive had problems with some i have fitted. The cheaper they are, the worse they seem.
Usually drill it slightly and put a self tapper in instead ;)
I've got exactly the same spring and have lost the two pins as they flew off into infinity.so annoying.Such a bad design.I'm debating taking it back or drilling through and using heavy duty wire or something.

I have also had problems with cheap ones. Usually tension it up then put a spot of weld on it. If not drill deeper and use a different pin...

Horrible things.

I bought the same one from B&Q, used their own 'help' website to ask for fitting instructions and was told to ask the branch where I bought it from.

The words 'useful, chocolate, teacup and as' sprang (no pun intended) to mind. I'm off to B&Q now to see if they can offer any advice, but I will ask why on earth they don't provide fitting instructions with the contraption. I had no idea what the little pins and rod were for until I stumbled across this website, but I'm glad I did as it looks very useful for an amateur like me who has 1001 little jobs to do around the home and have just spent a small fortune on tools that I'm not sure how to use properly.

I'm not into 'social networks' in a big way, but I can imagine me being a regular here.

For what it's worth, I managed to get a set of 'instructions', not by asking a member of staff, but by noticing that there were instructions inside the spring-only packages and 'borrowing' one from an already open pack. :evil: Mine came in a Suffolk Latch package and was bereft of instructions of any sort.

I've scanned it in case anyone else might find it useful, but I've no idea how to attach it to a post here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back