GATE CLOSING SPRING HELP!!!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
For what it's worth, I managed to get a set of 'instructions', not by asking a member of staff, but by noticing that there were instructions inside the spring-only packages and 'borrowing' one from an already open pack. :evil: Mine came in a Suffolk Latch package and was bereft of instructions of any sort.

I've scanned it in case anyone else might find it useful, but I've no idea how to attach it to a post here.

Would you be so kind to e mail me a copy of them please I am a novice in the diy sector and I have the same springs but I don't even no what side it goes on lol. I can't believe it as no instructions with it good old bnq
thanks lee

For what it's worth, I managed to get a set of 'instructions', not by asking a member of staff, but by noticing that there were instructions inside the spring-only packages and 'borrowing' one from an already open pack. :evil: Mine came in a Suffolk Latch package and was bereft of instructions of any sort.

I've scanned it in case anyone else might find it useful, but I've no idea how to attach it to a post here.

Would you be so kind to e mail me a copy of them please I am a novice in the diy sector and I have the same springs but I don't even no what side it goes on lol. I can't believe it as no instructions with it good old bnq e mail address is lee@***.** thanks lee

Would you be so kind to e mail me a copy of them please I am a novice in the diy sector and I have the same springs but I don't even no what side it goes on lol. I can't believe it as no instructions with it good old bnq
thanks lee

Lee, if you click on the hyperlink and print it, you'll get a full copy of what I scanned and you can easily print it off and even enlarge it (as I did).

If you want to get some good advice, including helpful videos of how to do just about anything on the DIY front, simply Google some key words and you'll be inundated with great sites. That's how I started. I'd also advise you to search 'essential tools' and spend the most you can afford. It doesn't all have to be bought in one day - get an essential piece each month and ask friends/family to send you Amazon or B&Q gift vouchers which you can spend online for birthday, Christmas, protection money payments etc. :evil:

Good luck and if you want advice on what essential tools you should get in order of priority, why not start a new topic here? You're bound to get a zillion responses...

I'm having exactly the same problem using the B and Q self closing gate spring - zinc plated, 200 mm, product no 38310800ZP, bar code 03267714. There are no instructions - and the fitting and method of operation is hardly intuitive. I did, however, unearth this very useful video, http://uktv.co.uk/home/item/aid/2632/displayVideo/Hi, in which the guy manages to fit the spring, whilst giving superb instructions, in 3 minutes flat.
Unlike me, he didn't seem to have any problems with the pins falling out of the holes when tensioning the spring. I'm wondering whether or not to try superglue, since I don't have any self tappers to hand.

Following my earlier post, I have now successfully managed to fix the gate spring. After fitting, it becomes clear that the pins are ultimately retained in place in their holes by the friction force between the pins and the mounting plates and that this force is generated by the spring torque. Unfortunately, because the pins are sloppy fits in the holes, I found that I didn't have enough hands to hold both pins in place and apply torque to the spring at the same time. So, I superglued the bottom pin in place in a hole and the job then became straightforward. There was no need to glue the top pin in its hole because I could hold it there until I had got enough torque in the spring to keep the pin in place - and furthermore, I might need to adjust the spring torque at some later date, which requires the ability to re-locate the top pin.

Great, helpful discussion. I'm just about to tackle the spring thing. Wish me luck.

Probably a job to fit because they are made in China :idea: We sent them missionaries - now they get revenge ;) Seriously, wear goggles - pins etc. flying are not good.

The fastening pins look like collet pins, that are held in place by the (as shown uncompressed spring), so when the spring is compressed, and the fitting installed, the spring is uncompressed, and 'pinches' the collet pins into position, thus holding the assembly in position. Like how the rockers/springs work in an OHC car..

But no experience regarding gate closing, apart from being trapped in a gate when deliving papers, due to excessive tension in the spring. That was just a spring, twisted, and welded. About 20 years ago.

**edit mebad, you fixed it.

So, I superglued the bottom pin in place in a hole and the job then became straightforward.
good idea. mine does not say which side is bottom . top should be at top right says most of my searches

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back