1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Gate valve help

Discussion in 'Plumbing and Central Heating' started by Burnerman, 8 Dec 2020.

1. Burnerman

Burnerman

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It's probably acting as a 'boiler balancing valve' (bypass) and I'd recommend you leave it well alone for now.
    Belongs in the plumbing forum really.
    John :)

Last edited: 8 Dec 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  2. DeanT28

DeanT28

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all, I've just purchased a property which has been sat empty for months and months. Currently having a new kitchen installed, rewire, new rads ect and came across this gate valve I think it is... When I've got the heating and hot water on, the hot water seems to take ages to heat up. I'm wondering if it's anything to do with this? Should this gate valve be fully open or fully closed? Thank you

Attached Files:

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: 8 Dec 2020
  3. Sponsored Links
  4. CBW

CBW

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks like it could be a by-pass valve or indeed the cold feed from the cold water storage cistern. Does it get hot at any point?

• Like Like x 1
  5. Madrab

Madrab

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It'll be a manual bypass, was typically used in older systems. You'd need someone experienced to set it up, or get an auto-bypass installed. Again by someone that knows how to set it up for the boiler/pump setup you have.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Sponsored Links
  7. denso13

denso13

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Looks to me like it could be on the return from the coil to throttle the flow down. The more you close the valve the quicker the hot water should heat up, in theory. Try having it just a few turns open and see what happens. If you close it fully the hot water won't heat at all.

• Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  8. DIYnot Local

DIYnot Local

United Kingdom

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local