General Alarm Installation questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey guys, ive been thinking about installing a wired alarm for a while, and im now ready to take the plunge!

Im going to get a Texecom Veritas 8 system with 8 zones.

1 zone for each sensor, 4 PIRs up and 4 down, one in each room/landing of the house.

Questions are...

1 - Wiring door contacts will be hard will PIRs covering the doors suffice? i can probably wire the front door but not the back and patio.

2 - All the wiring will run from the loft down through airing cupboards and wardrobes, therefore can i place the control panel in the loft? Will it be too cold up there?

3 - Thinking of having 2 active bells front and back of house, it this possible?

4 - Can someone post a pic of their control panel circuit board so i know what im getting myself into :)

5- With 8-24 zone control panels do i have to purchase a zone extender also, or do these come included in the package?

6- Wire clips or staples?

THANKS GUYS!

Sponsored Links
2) Yes you can, but what if you have a problem or where will you turn it on/off from? you will need to use an external keypad if doing this.

What if you change the wardrobes, I take it that they are fitted.

3) Yes.

4) Have a look for the installation guide for your proposed system to give more info on what's needed to fit it.

6) Personal preference, have you got a wire stapler?

It is better to have a door contact on the final exit door as this can be used to cancel the exit delay on shutting the final door. The PIR in the hallway would then be set as "inhibited entry".

It is rare to fit a panel with the keypad onboard these days - A keypad and remote end station is pretty much the norm. I would be more worried about excessive heat if you put the end station in the loft. you are also meant to have the end station covered by a PIR - placing it in one of your walk in wardrobes would be better.

Having two active bells is fine - one would need to be set to SCB rather than SAB, or an additional PSU used in conjunction with a couple relays.

Systems usually come as 8 zone, with 8 zone expanders used each time. Many systems also have 2 zones available from the keypad. It really depends on the system architecture.

A stapler is fine - Do a few practice shots first ;)

The texecom veritas 8 will allow you a maximum of 8 zones.

It can NOT be expanded.

If you require more zones, then you will need something like the texecom premier 24.

This is supplied as a standard 8 zone panel, but there are an additional 2 zones on each keypad and you CAN add (I think a max of two for that panel) expanders to provide an additional 8 zones per expander. (you purchase these seperatly as and when you need them)

You can also program the outputs on the premier to run your second bell box from there.

Sponsored Links
The less is more.

why have 4 pirs upstairs? why not have just the one on the landing? (for the upstairs)

Do put a contact on the front door

I wouldn't put the panel in the loft, apart from the fact it is not protected by the alarm, if its like most lofts it will be a pain to get to when its service time or heaven forbid a problem

Cupboards and fixed wardrobes not a problem for cable runs (if you can access them)

having 2 bells is "easy" but also pointless, most alarms have an internal speaker as well as an external bell

I would post a pic of my control panel, but its not the same as yours, so i wont (but i did post most of the pictures in the alarm sticky)

you cant staple into masonary, so you have to use clips or trunking, cable staple guns though when used right are very good.

Thanks for all the answers guys thats really cool.

Im going to place my order asap, ill let you know how i get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back