general query for CH engineers - not a techy one!

thanks gasguru, this is what I was fearing. Should have run once a week like you said, but every year its been ok until now. I'm almost inclined to put a new boiler in. Theres a leak behind the pump that drains the boiler over 24 hours as well. Fans ok, we've wired it direct to mains and it runs. Pump runs as well. The overheat button which I'm asuming is red and fixed to the copper pipe seems stuck out to me. But its solid and no way will push in.

Sponsored Links
The "leak" is possibly the auto air vent (cheap part) or the O ring connection just in front near the screw. Topping up the pressure as often as you are doing is disasterous for a heating system - you will quickly dilute the inhibitor and cause massive corrosion.

The red button should easily pop back in. When the pump runs does the diffrential microswitch activate (its sits on TOP of the diverter valve on the left side.

These boilers are generally easy to fix and apart from air pressure switches, pcbs, DHW switches/diaphragms and the odd sensor are not that bad. They could outlast many current models on the market. I would advise you do not install a condensing boiler with the intermittent use it will be subjected to....it is likely to be less reliable.

ok GG. Advice is much appreciated. I'll post up what the prob is when sorted.

great result. The £70 an hour call out guy came and diagnosed the problem in about 30 seconds! Knackered diaphram apparently, which he could test easily by sticking a screwdriver in and lifting a lever - hey presto - boiler fired up. So, a fiver for the part and 30 mins to fit at £20 per half hour. Quite how a qualified but young technician from a major boiler manufacturer could spend an hour poking and prodding and tell me the fan had gone is beyond me :eek:

Sponsored Links
The £70 an hour call out guy came .....So, a fiver for the part and 30 mins to fit at £20 per half hour.
So the £70 an hour guy charged £20 for half an hour? Whose the dunce at maths - him or you?

he hasn't done it yet - he's got to order the part.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back