Generator to run water pump 150m away, voltage drop

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Currently have a 2.2Kw generator running a borehole pump of unknown wattage... but runs fine, pumps water into storage tank.

Need to move the location of the generator to new location, will be around 125-150m away from the pump, so will need to change the wiring etc.

Will be running armour cable to the generator with the appropriate connectors. (unless someone has a better idea)

Will voltage drop be an issue?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You need to specify the wattage or current of the pump, plus whether it is single phase or 3 phase. From those details, someone might be able to determine a suitable size of cable needed.

Well, if we calculate for the worst case....

The generator can only produce 2.2kw so the load can't be more than that, or the generator would be noticeably unhappy*. A generator that small will almost certainly be single phase. With a distance of 150m and using SWA cable buried in the ground, TLCs online calculator suggests a 6mm2 cable would give a acceptable voltage drop of 4.9%.

In reality, the load could be much less of course. If you can't find the wattage of your pump, look online for one of a similar spec in terms of flow rate and head to get a rough idea. The submersible pumps on sale at Machine Mart for instance, seem to range from about 250w up to about 1500w

*Edit to add: In fact, the pump must be significantly less than 2.2kw running, otherwise the startup would be a problem. I know from experience that starting a 2kw jetwash can stall the engine on my 2.8kw generator.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Which will cost you around £500. For that sum you could build a sound-proof enclosure several times over

My gut feeling from experience started at 10mm². for 2.2KW @ 150m

First on-line calculator surprised with 4mm² & 4.9%, next couple gave 6mm² & TLC gave me 4.9%

I have never compared different sites before but the difference is a little worrying.

Currently have a 2.2Kw generator running a borehole pump of unknown wattage... but runs fine, pumps water into storage tank.

Need to move the location of the generator to new location, will be around 125-150m away from the pump, so will need to change the wiring etc.

Will be running armour cable to the generator with the appropriate connectors. (unless someone has a better idea)

Will voltage drop be an issue?

Thanks
I don't know if it would work,someone may know, but would it be possible to put a plugin energy monitor on the genny in its present position to give an indication of pump wattage?

My gut feeling from experience started at 10mm². for 2.2KW @ 150m

First on-line calculator surprised with 4mm² & 4.9%, next couple gave 6mm² & TLC gave me 4.9%

I have never compared different sites before but the difference is a little worrying.
FWIW TLC give 10mm² at 2.3KW
1685530288105.png

That's a hell of a trench you might need to dig as well unless the cable is just on the ground.......

that's how it was always done...

Just think about things like the Manchester Ship Canal for example...

Although not worth shifting that much dirt for a piddling little 6mm² SWA ;)
And wells used to have a hand operated crank to lift the bucket, if you were lucky..... not a pump...

a trench the width of the Manchester ship canal would be overkill for 6mm though.......................

Thanks for the advice/thoughts so far.

The pump is borehole with borehole pump, but the origin is unknown, but it's single phase 230v.

Current wiring looks like a caravan hook-up cable (if this gives an idea?)

I'll try to get a plug-in energy meter at least it will give an idea of the load when operating.
Will have a digger dig 90% of the trench to lob the cable in, so should got smoothly.

Quick additional question if I may... been offered another generator 2Kw, but it's only 110v.
If I wanted to use this, and hooked up a transformer with the 125-150m cable run, is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing this based on the 2Kw 230v generator we're currently using?

Thanks again.

And wells used to have a hand operated crank to lift the bucket, if you were lucky..... not a pump...

a trench the width of the Manchester ship canal would be overkill for 6mm though.......................
:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back