Genetic Policing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On Radio 2 today there was someone with the idea of all newborns to have a DNA sample taken and registered on a national database - the rationale for this was to aid crime solving in the future. Surely, there can be no greater invasion of privacy?

Sponsored Links
But does it actually matter if your not a criminal. It has benefits as well, if you die in a fire or explosion it's quick and easy to ID you

they should do that to every immigrant coming into the country. if there arrested for anything, send them back. problems solved.

Sponsored Links
pickles said:
But does it actually matter if your not a criminal. It has benefits as well, if you die in a fire or explosion it's quick and easy to ID you

Yes it does matter if you are not a criminal.

People in power will always abuse it.

notb665 said:
pickles said:

Yes it does matter if you are not a criminal.

People in power will always abuse it.

How

how can they abuse it :eek:

use your imagination

organ donation ( harvesting) wether your dead dying or not

set up by the powers that be to keep you from saying /doing anything they dont want

etc

twasnt me guvnor honest :D

ps softus come on stop the personal digs u know i luv u :LOL:

Slogger wrote:

use your imagination

organ donation ( harvesting) wether your dead dying or not

set up by the powers that be to keep you from saying /doing anything they dont want

etc

I don't get it :confused:

wouldn't bother me, i'd be happy to donate some of my dna if everyone else had to as well.

I've donenothing wrong, so nothing to hide etc....

dg123 said:
On Radio 2 today there was someone with the idea of all newborns to have a DNA sample taken and registered on a national database - the rationale for this was to aid crime solving in the future. Surely, there can be no greater invasion of privacy?

I think you ought to ask why blood samples of newborns are ALREADY retained!

As to those who think they have 'nothing to hide'...given our governments love of selling our information to private companies (e.g DVLA revelations), then how long before insurance companies would 'acquire' DNA information?

'Nothing to Hide' will mean sh*t when you won't be able to get insurance or a mortgage will it!!

There's a higher probability of error if you select a match from a database of 60 million. That's likely to throw up a number of matches to a given sample.

See here for some information on matching probabilities:
http://dna-view.com/profile.htm

ellal said:
dg123 said:

As to those who think they have 'nothing to hide'...given our governments love of selling our information to private companies (e.g DVLA revelations), then how long before insurance companies would 'acquire' DNA information?

'Nothing to Hide' will mean sh*t when you won't be able to get insurance or a mortgage will it!!

why won't you be able to get insurance because theyv'e got your dna. The thing is I can't see that this dna thing is anyworse than say fingerprints or photos, It's just another form of ID

pickles said:
ellal said:
dg123 said:

why won't you be able to get insurance because theyv'e got your dna. The thing is I can't see that this dna thing is anyworse than say fingerprints or photos, It's just another form of ID

Because just as your bank, phone provider, etc. sells your details to third parties so these details can be sold to insurance companies. By using the genetic information they will identify those who are a high risk from known illnesses. This information can in turn be sold to corporations, banks, etc.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel uncomfortable with the authorities having details of my personal genetic code, is there anything they don't want to know about us?

pickles said:
Quite simply, as has been said, your DNA will give an idea of diseases you could be susceptible to, and hence have those removed from Insurance cover. Remove enough cover, and mortgage companies won't touch you. So no, it's not just another form of ID!!

It'll be used as yet another form of descrimination...

Sponsored Links
Back