Genetic Policing

Won't be long before it's possible to identify a propensity to alcoholism, criminality, gambling, dishonesty etc.

Very useful to go with your CV for a new job.

The LibDems could have saved themselves some trouble... ;)

Sponsored Links
toasty said:
wouldn't bother me, i'd be happy to donate some of my dna if everyone else had to as well.

I've donenothing wrong, so nothing to hide etc....

Until your sample provides, an unfortunate for 'actually innocent you', reasonable match for the tiny fragment found at the scene of a dastardly crime, commited in an area you frequent ... oooer ! notso neat then matey! :cool:

empip said:
toasty said:
wouldn't bother me, i'd be happy to donate some of my dna if everyone else had to as well.
I've donenothing wrong, so nothing to hide etc....
Until your sample provides, an unfortunate for 'actually innocent you', reasonable match for the tiny fragment found at the scene of a dastardly crime, commited in an area you frequent ... oooer ! notso neat then matey! :cool:
I suggest that "toasty" gets a copy of the film "Gattaca", written & directed by Andrew Niccol (1997) which deals with this subject exactly - DNA profiling, discrimination, elitism and poor policing (see the review, here). Science fiction, I know, but it sums the whole problem of letting the state have access to everything - the state is supposed to work on our behalf, civil servants are supposed to be public servants, something I think that they have forgotten.

Toasty, if you want to know what happens when a state has access to too much personal data you only have to look at what happened in the Netherlands during WWII - the Jews had nothing to hide, therefore nothing to fear when they registered their religion with the town hall (still mandatory today, BTW): 140,000 registered - 107,000 deported - 5,500 returned. A further 24,000 went into hiding of whom 8,000 were caught (source: Humboldt State University, California). It can't happen here or in the modern world? What about Biafra, Rwanda or closer to home Bosnia? It doesn't take much, pal. Wake up!

Scrit

Me? Paranoid?..... :eek:

your dna being found at the scene of a crime in itself is not incriminating and is only the starting point for any investigation. There are a million and one reasons why it can be there, and all it does is prove you were there. Any case would have to go on to show why you were there and what you did as well. When DNA first became widely used many in the police thought it was a panacea for solving crime. We used to get given cases to investigate and told matey boys dnas been found in that stolen car, get him charged. Trouble was it didnt take matey boy and his scrote mates long to work out to say that he was just sitting in the car, which he saw abandoned to get out of the rain and had a fag or a drink as he walked home from the pub (yeah right) and bang goes the case.

Sponsored Links
1984....eruugh.. Shudder

Why should we Trust B'Liar an his bunch of evil warmongers

btw if you are arrested now your DNA samples are taken wether you are released uncharged/innocent ...

Thermo said:
your dna being found at the scene of a crime in itself is not incriminating and is only the starting point for any investigation. There are a million and one reasons why it can be there, and all it does is prove you were there. Any case would have to go on to show why you were there and what you did as well. When DNA first became widely used many in the police thought it was a panacea for solving crime. We used to get given cases to investigate and told matey boys dnas been found in that stolen car, get him charged. Trouble was it didnt take matey boy and his scrote mates long to work out to say that he was just sitting in the car, which he saw abandoned to get out of the rain and had a fag or a drink as he walked home from the pub (yeah right) and bang goes the case.
As you've said, it doesn't take long for the criminals to work out their excuses..that just leaves innocent people who happen to have been 'at the wrong place' (not even at the wrong time), who will be dragged in for 'questioning'..

interesting that the UK has over 5% of the population on the DNA database - the next nearest in the EU is Austria at 1%, and the US has 0.25%...And in the UK 140,000 are on the database who have never even been charged with anything!

the question is, why does the government have such a distrust of it's citizens compared with other 'civilised' countries, and for what reason?

part commercial and part control is my guess..

but even more worrying is the 'sheep-like' behaviour of the population who can't/won't see the dangers...until it's too late of course!

Back