Get in Fruit and Veg prices to go up - another Brexit win

We source a lot of meet from Argentina now, do you think they send it unchecked or do you think it comes with a certificate.
It doesn't matter, we still need to carry out physical checks.

Sponsored Links
Buut it's not all about that, it's a whole range of import checks and 'Health certificates will now be required on EU goods ranging from cut flowers, to fresh produce including fruit and vegetables.'

I saw that but didn't really understand why we are doing it. Is this a unilateral decision by the UK to introduce these checks? I thought we'd decided stuff from the EU was automatically safe and we'd just let it in.

Sponsored Links
I saw that but didn't really understand why we are doing it. Is this a unilateral decision by the UK to introduce these checks?
There are WTO rules which state that trade borders with the EU must match those for the rest of the world, to create fairness. I think that plays a part in it.

The goalposts have changed from look at all the benefits, to well its not much more paperwork, cost or inconvenience.
It's already being touted that it will take around a day off the shelf life of products. To me that's automatically less fresh and a lower standard

It will only get worse and worse as companies comply and make decisions not to carry a wider selection of goods.
Strange. 90% of mine came from outside the EU.

Which 90% - Mottie is now the full representative of the UK.

There are WTO rules which state that trade borders with the EU must match those for the rest of the world, to create fairness. I think that plays a part in it.

Just read in the FT that the government says it is partly to level the playing field, with the EU, for our producers. So, our costs of exporting food to the EU have gone up, so they want the EU's costs of sending food here to go up as well. Another bonus.

Last edited:
Well that went well! :LOL:

So before when goods came into the EU via another EU nation they did the import checks, they became efficient at doing them. Now we are outside the EU we need to replicate all that at higher costs because we are doing smaller volumes.

It's just stupid, we should be closer to Europe not some far off land but that was the lie of brexit, now we are what? A joke.

It will only get worse and worse as companies comply and make decisions not to carry a wider selection of goods.

Which 90% - Mottie is now the full representative of the UK.
I buy all my groceries direct from Mottie these days.

He delivers.

Sponsored Links
Back