Getting a Second Hand Boiler fitted

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've done a quick search and not really seen a definitive answer to this ...

My current boiler, a Potterton Suprima 40 ( crap ) keeps tripping my mains as soon as I switch it on and has already been repaired a number of times.

I've been offered a practically brand new boiler from a family friend that's being removed as it's not powerful enough for the fitted radiators ( less than 12 months old ), which is a ferroli sigma 4060

The plumber that's removing it said that no-one will fit it as it's second hand.

My question is, will any corgi registered plumber fit what is essentially a practially new boiler compared to my Potterton, and if not, what are the reasons - is there any work around at all?

And perhaps it's worth asking if the above boiler is even worth fitting if it can be - and what boiler would be a worthwhile replacement for the Potterton on a budget.

Thanks for anyone's help - it's getting pretty cold in my house, and I don't really want to have to spend thousands on a new boiler.

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't do it nor would any I know in the trade. It's illegal.

if your on a budget, get a decent engineer to diagonise and fix/replace the faulty componant in your boiler and save for a decent replacement ( WB/Vailliant )

In what way is it illegal? ( Sorry, I'm one of those anal type of people that needs to understand the issues surrounding a problem - just in my nature ;) )

Given that it is less than a year old it must surely comply to current regulations for a gas appliance. If it meets that criteria, what exactly is the issue?

( Also I would appreciate if I could be pointed towards a new boiler :) as an alternative ).

Thanks for the reply :)

if your on a budget, get a decent engineer to diagonise and fix/replace the faulty componant in your boiler and save for a decent replacement ( WB/Vailliant )

I think half the problem is finding such a person - I've not really been impressed by the people I've had out - but thanks for the model suggestion.

Cheers
Marty

Sponsored Links
If you had this fitted and by some chance it did'nt work, would you be happy handing over the fitters money :?: Main do a pretty good budget boiler.

I think it would be a risk I was willing to take - I suspect that this potterton would cost me more in the long run with on-going repairs. I know the boiler is good and works, my radiators are fewer and smaller.

I should add that the replacement boiler has the original manufacturer's fitting intructions and definitely meets current regulations.

Can't see anything illegal if it is a modern condenser.

Whether or not a Ferroli is a better long term bet than an old Potterton is another question :LOL:

Thanks for that simond - see this is what I'm trying to understand, and I wish I could just get this bullsh!t free - I think this plumber is simply trying to rip me off because I can't find anywhere that says definitely that fitting second hand stuff is illegal

What I need to know is

a) Is it worth doing
b) What are the alternatives
c) How much will a full replacement cost
d) Why exactly is it illegal
e) Where can I find an honest plumber

The truth must surely be on this forum somewhere :D

it's a band d boiler. to fit as a new installation would not comply with building regs :cry:

Okay, thanks dangermouse46 - now we're getting somewhere - what band does a new boiler need to be to fit into to meet new fit building regs?

What cost I'm I looking at for getting such a boiler and getting it fitted?

Thanks for the help so far :)

it's a band d boiler. to fit as a new installation would not comply with building regs :cry:

Okay, thanks dangermouse46 - now we're getting somewhere - what band does a new boiler need to be to fit into to meet new fit building regs?

What cost I'm I looking at for getting such a boiler and getting it fitted?

Thanks for the help so far :)

unless excempt (strict criteria) then you must get a band A or B. Save up and get a Vaillant ecotecplus 418 or look at the glow worm ultracom 18hxi (which? magazine best buy) budget around £1500 ;)

:eek:

Ok - thanks for the help guys - I think I'll try and get the potterton fixed whilst I save some cash - I don't have £1500 atm to spare :/

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back