getting four wires in one hole on a plug socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So i came to replace an old socket because it looks a right mess, and there are four wires going into each connection, i have tried to do this before and found it nearly impossible to get all the wires in, are there any sockets out there that have larger holes for all the wires? if not hows it done? because the socket isnt really used and it feeds another double socket, i may put block connectors on the wires and use a blanking plate, any thoughts guys?

Sponsored Links
I think every socket I have ever used will accept 4 solid 2.5mm2 wires.

A struggle with stranded wires though.

You can do a joint behind the socket with 30amp connector blocks and a short length of wire - but, particularly in the case of a ring circuit, there could be right ways and wrong ways of doing this.

Sponsored Links
To help me, and possibly OP: Out of curiosity, why would there be x4 of each wire? I was thinking Radial circuit?

Yes, a radial circuit, where it was considered easier to do it that way, perhaps because additional sockets were added.

Some people choose to spur off a ring circuit socket twice as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back