Getting qualified?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Over the years I've successfully completed quite a number of DIY projects inc plumbing ones (to the extent that I use end-feed solder joints, etc). I've also followed the whole thing about being 'competent' to do gas work and fully appreciate the necessity to complete such work in a safe manner. So what courses and exams would one have to pass to be able to install the typical domestic central heating system?

Sponsored Links
Except for gas, absolutely none. You just have to comply with building regulations.

For the gas side of things you currently need ACS qualifications, this is subdivided into different categories.

CCN1 is core gas safety
CKR1 is gas cooking appliances
HTR1 is gas fires and wall heaters
WAT1 is gas water heaters
CEN1 is gas central heating
DAH1 is gas ducted air heaters

Then you need to get Corgi/Capita registered.

That all i know :)

Someone will fill in the blanks.

The blanks!

You cannot get on an ACS course or take the assessments without documented experience of working in the plumbing industry.

Some of the expensive colleges will offer courses at about £4000 which will overcome some of these problems.

The short answer is that you cannot get gas qualified now based on a little DIY experience. You would normally need two years minimum employed in a relevant job.

To become CORGI registered in your own name, you would also usually need two years with the ACS qualifications working for a gas firm to gain experience.

Tony

Sponsored Links
The blanks!
You cannot get on an ACS course or take the assessments without documented experience of working in the plumbing industry.
Tony

Where does it say that?

Some of the expensive colleges will offer courses at about £4000 which will overcome some of these problems.
Tony

What should it cost then?

To the OP:

My old man recently passed his ACS at the age of 53 after 0 years experience plumbing, he was a mechanic for 30 years which gave him a great background in fault finding and diagnostics. He is now employed as a gas service engineer btw.

A background in mechanics or electronics will serve you well. More so than plumbing, saying that it is important to know the effects of bad plumbing on a heating system and the faults that it can throw up.

The blanks!
Tony

Where does it say that?

Have a look at http://www.trustcorgi.com/Qualifications/Documents/2a Facts about ACS.pdf

In amongst the rest of it you'll find

In addition applicants are required to provide details of their industry experiences and qualifications as the scheme places applicants into three categories:

Category 1
Applicants in this category are regarded as experienced gas fitting operatives; they will need to provide evidence to the Assessment Centre prior to taking ACS assessments that they possess a gas fitting qualification or certificate(s) of gas safety competence issued either within or outside of the UK.
22/11/06 © CORGI 5
The date of issue of their qualification/gas safety certificate may be greater than the normal five year validity period.
Applicants in this category who only hold limited scope certificates of gas safety competence which do not require connection to a live gas supply i.e. ICAE 1LS or ICPN 1LS, or who are not required to enter a property e.g. CMA 2LS with MET 3LS, will if they intend to extend their range of gas work, present evidence of that additional gas work experience to the Assessment Centre prior to taking assessment. See evidence requirements detailed in Category 2.

Category 2
Applicants in this category are regarded as holding, or enrolled with a centre and registered with an awarding body working towards a nationally recognised qualification e.g. NVQ or City & Guilds craft certificate in a trade associated with gas work, e.g. plumbing. Application conditions for this category requires that the applicant provides to the Assessment Centre evidence of their qualification and written evidence confirming that they have undertaken ‘On the Job’ gas installation and/or maintenance training and have experience of gas work that has been carried out under the direct supervision of a competent operative(s) employed by a CORGI registered business. The Assessment Centre will need to be satisfied that the applicant has a sufficiency and range
of gas work experience relating to the application, in accordance with the requirements below.
The Assessment Centre should ensure that a competent member of staff evaluates all evidence presented by the candidate and makes a professional judgement on its content and suitability against the areas of assessment the candidate intends to undertake.
Applicants need to provide to the Assessment Centre evidence of this Off the Job training and On the Job experience. The evidence must consist as a minimum the following:
· Name, address and the CORGI registration number of the business(s) providing the training.
· The start and end dates of the Off the Job training programme.
· The start and end dates of the On the Job training programme.
· The types and sufficiency of gas work undertaken (not plumbing or other related work activities).
· The name(s) of the competent operative(s) of the business that has provided the On the Job training.
Assessment Centres if they doubt the authenticity of the information presented by the applicant must decline access to ACS assessment.

Category 3
Applicants in this category are regarded as new to the gas industry, which
are not holding any national qualifications nor have any gas work experience. Application conditions for this category require that the Category 3 applicant may as an alternative to achieving a Gas Services N/SVQ either;
· Obtain employment with a CORGI registered business which is willing to provide an auditable extended ‘in house’ gas training programme incorporating both On and Off the Job components with organisational support prior to the applicant taking ACS assessment.
· Undertakes a training programme which is planned, managed and organised by a training provider. This training programme will incorporate both On and Off the Job training and experience with organisational support prior to the applicant taking ACS assessment. The On the Job training component will be carried out by a CORGI registered business in accordance with a training plan and programme designed by the training provider.
Evidence of the contents of the programme detailing the Off the Job training and On the Job experience must be presented to the Assessment Centre as described in Category 2

Come April when Capita take over it may become more difficult for applicants with no industry experience to take assessments. I have heard that at present some, less reputable, assessment centres are not that hot on checking up on previous experience. This is one aspect that Capita will be looking into.

Mike

Followed up on some of the info posted above (thanks guys). The sticking point seems to be 'a period of work/training within the industry'. Not really practical when all I want to do is prove that I'm competent to do my own stuff. The supposed reason for all these certifications is safety but that particular obstacle seems to be more about creating a cosy little 'closed shop'. Modern day Masons anyone?!

I must strongly disagree with the last comment!

The whole point of requiring registration of those engaged in gas work is to ensure that anyone who has attained the qualifications can be expected to have a considerable degree of experience and capabilities in working with gas before being let loose on the public.

If you only want to do your own gas work then you dont need to take the assessment although you can still go on the courses.

Consider another profession. If you are to be operated on by a surgeon then you expect/hope that anyone cutting your body open and fiddling inside has a high degree of expertise. The training is very through but still the Treliske Hospital regularly used to appear in the national news with stories of operations gone wrong and patients being sent home with instruments still inside them.

Tony

I totally agree anyone doing work for the public should be suitably qualified. Don't think the surgeon analogy is appropriate - I only want to operate on myself :) . But it would be good not to be in such a gray area (got to be competent but no definition of competency for DIY). I'm certainly not interested in doing it for others - I might end up with a customer like me! :LOL:

The problem with any DIY work is that it doesn't just affect you. It can affect visitors to your property, neighbours, passers by, the next person that lives in your house.

This doesn't just apply to gas work and DIYer working beyond his understanding or capabilities can cause damage or injury to other people.

If the worst happens and you cause injury or damage to another person or property you can find yourself personally liable. Insurance companies love to get out of paying claims so if they can claim that you tackled a job which you were not competent to do they will refuse to pay out.

This can be a bit of a grey area but in relation to gas and electrics there are already ways of assessing competence.

Mike

The more experience I get the more I realise I need and the more aparant it becomes how much more dangerous I was before the small amount of experience I have, than I ever dreamed. I wouldn't have let me loose in someones house corgi inspectors take a huge gamble.

The idea of experience being a means of securing a closed shop is against the ethos of safety.

There isn't enough experience required to make people safe. They are let loose to practice on the public and hopefully not kill anyone until they have gained sufficient experience the hard way. That is the situation we are now in with the industry. A lot of dangerous people running around fealing all puffed up and invinsible about themselves.

GPlumb, how did your dad manage to get on an ACS course with no portfolio of evidence? would you care to post where he did it? i have been involved with a training centre and have seen people coming in to do the course (with some doing quite well considering their littele experience) but their ACS paperwork does not leave the centre to be accredited until their completed portfolio is presented to us, i am not dumbing down my trade but it has been proved that people with no experience can learn and pass the exams but their lack of real knowledge is the dangerous part in the field, and as you say your dad has no gas experience but is now working for a firm doing service work, i'm not having a go at your dad with his experience i'm sure he can adapt well, but he needs guidence from an experienced engineer to see him through the tricky bits

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back