Getting the Room Temp Right

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have switched from a conventional boiler to condensing and have noticed the difference in the room stat temp to required temp. I initially calibrated room stat to make sure that was OK.

At the moment, I have the boiler coming on when temp reaches .5 deg below desired temp. (20.5). After the temp in the room has dropped to this level it takes the boiler around 20 mins to get up to 21 and then goes off. However the temp keeps rising after this point up to more than 22, which is a bit too hot. (using a digit thermom to confirm temp)

At the moment it seems I either live with that, or turn room stat down so boiler doesn't come on until the room is colder and goes off before it reaches desired temp.

Any other suggestions would be gratefully received.

Sponsored Links
I don't know what room stat you have but if it has a TPI mode, try that, otherwise you could change it for a stat with TPI control. They still tend to overshoot a little but tend to settle down to a stable temp.

TPI(time-proportional-integral) is essentially very slow pulse-width-modulation for the boiler.

Thanks for the quick replies. Boiler is a Vaillant Ecotech Plus 418. Stat is just a standard wired Honeywell.

Sponsored Links
See if the stat has a Neutral connected...measure the voltage to confirm it's also connected at the boiler end. The Neutral connection allows operation of the "anticipator" resistor...it heat up during stat demand and helps prevent the overshoot.
If the stats mounted on a stud wall ensure the cable entry through the plasterboard is completely sealed...the tiniest draft will thwow the stat out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back