Getting woken up at night

Sponsored Links
Vehicle noise is really hard to stop, my road is a run for the local skip lorries and they seem to shake the whole house when the go past.

things that work.
- doubled the front garden fence and installed solid gates.
- moved to the bedrooms in the back of the house
- internal wall insulation
- double glazing / secondary glazing
- thick curtains.

Sponsored Links
Get some proper ear plugs instead of buds. I use Moldex Spark Plugs when I need some quiet. They're one of the best performing plugs at blocking noise, comfortable for all night and won't fall out.

https://www.moldex-europe.com/en/products/earplugs-disposable/spark-plugs/

And there's a fit bird in a video on that link showing you the best way of insertion so nothing pops out.

I find a bit of spit provides some lubrication to get it in easily. (y)

I'm talking about plugs. Filthy beasts!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

And no, not those sort of plugs Andy.

Last edited:
A tiny bit of night nurse. Nowhere near as much as a spoonful.
Bang! Out all night!

I leave the radio on (world service) all night, it sort of masks intruding noises like a dog barking etc. It also sort of inspires dreams, I sometimes wake up with very odd dreams in my head then later in the day realise it was probably related to a news story or program that had been on.

I listen to that (R4), radio runs for an hour after pushing the sleep button and I can guarantee to out cold by the end of the 'Sailing By'. SWMBO claims R4 is incredibly boring, but she completely misses the point ;)

I listen to that (R4), radio runs for an hour after pushing the sleep button and I can guarantee to out cold by the end of the 'Sailing By'. SWMBO claims R4 is incredibly boring, but she completely misses the point ;)
I like a bit of 'Sailing By'

My next door neighbour used to complain that a badly filled trench on the road outside their window kept them awake. I am in a 20mph zone but it stops right outside their house and the council added an illuminated sign on each side of the road. The cable that joins them was badly buried.

Anyway, a girlffriend uses a stand alone device and it works. Problem is that it sounds like running water.

A woman at work used to use a YouTube video for her toddler . It was rain and roadnoise.

You could experiment with a phone to find a noise that works

Someone else mentioned it, maybe try secondary glazing? I've never seen an installation of this to know how good it actually is, however stats online seem to indicate it can reduce noise levels quite significantly.

Sponsored Links
Back