GFI - is it the same as an RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As per the title - is a GFI the same as an RCD? My architect has specced a GFI floor outlet but I cannot find one anywhere.

So I need a floor socket - but it should be protected from water ingress / moisture etc. Any ideas on a supplier / product?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
What country are you in? And your architect? Might he be copying text from a foreign supplier?

Is this socket actually set into the floor rather than a wall as is usual? What will it supply? Is it in a room in a house, or where?

I'm in the caribbean, although we use 240V and british outlets which is why I posted it in here, and not the non UK section. Architects are in Canada.

The room I need the sockets in is open - i.e. no windows and doors, but the edge of the roof is at least 20 feet away from the sockets [i.e. huge eaves], so they shouldn't get wet during rain. Would I be ok putting a regular floor socket [box with stainless steel protective flap] or should I put an outdoor socket in? I'm tending to the outdoor socket just to be safe, but finding one I can mount in the floor is proving difficult!!! Also, the socket will be under a table, and only used for maybe a table lamp or plugging in a laptop etc......

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Obviously, your North American architect is using North American terminology. He may not be famiar with electrical standards on your island.

It is good practice to have all sockets protected by an RCD. More commonly this is done by protecing the socket circuit at its origin in the consumer unit. A very good way to do this is by installing an RCBO.

A socket set into the floor is particularly likely to get wet during cleaning of the floor.

p.s. over here, floor outlets are often used in offices, where you use a little sunken box with a cover that can be fitted with the carpet or other floor covering. Below these covers there are often power outlets and also telecomms and network outlets. The cover enables cables to be led out when it is closed. If you get one of these, you could fit an RCD socket inside it.

Do they have regs in the caribbean?
Think you better air on the safety side and use and outdoor socket like you suggest.

Sounds like a nice Pad can you send us a pic so we can all dream

P.S do you play in the English Premier league? :LOL: with a name like "footy" and a pad in the caribbean Im guessing you are.

Rob,

We are governed by the IEE regs. I'm going to err on the side of caution, rather than what the outlet looks like. If only someone made a waterproof box with either a stainless steel cover or a recessed lid to take a stone tile. :confused:

And no, I'm not an overpaid overhyped cheating diving pansy. :LOL:

Re pics. I can't post any up as I have confidentiality and privacy to think of. Sorry.

like this

p1795752_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/search.do;j..._dyncharset=UTF-8&fh_search=floor+box&x=6&y=8

yes, like that but weatherproof!!

and a deeper recess as the slate flooring is 12mm thick!!

am I asking too much??!!

Thanks for all your help guys / gals [just in case :LOL: ]

I don't believe it!! A quick google search using the proper English terminology you guys have given me, has led me to the Onix range by Ackermann. They do a weatherproof floor socket that can even be soaked in water when in use!! And it looks good too. Here's the link just in case you ever need to do the same! :D

http://www.ackermann.co.uk/PDF/technical/Ackermann_Onix_12pp.pdf

Thanks for your input.

note that only some of the products on that page are suitable for wet wash

I've spent some time in the Caribbean (BVI). you had better use good waterproof fittings. Even 20ft from your roofline wont keep it dry when one of those Cat4s is a coming at you.

Take all the blades off your ceiling fans too!

Sponsored Links
Back