Giving Blood

Sponsored Links
you can't give blood if you have had a tattoo in the last 12 months either

Guess I'm going to have to wait a while then, got one in June I think it was, body scar, regret it so much after the novelty worn off :(

my 2 p worth.

You must have something to eat before you go.

If you are "squeamish" don't look when the needle goes in (i never did)

If you do feel a bit "unwell" do say so, don't be shy, most first timers are a bit unwell (no i dont mean sick, just a bit...light headed)

Do have the tea and biscuits afterwards (really they do give tea)

The odd thing is for (me) the bit that hurt most was when they jab your thumb for a sample, they really hurrts more than the nedle going in, (i never felt the needle going in)

Been doing it for years now, as others have said don't watch the needle go in. That is still the worst bit for me, not painful but uncomfortable. Some nurses are better at it than others.
Oh, and you are not allowed to give blood at all if you bat for the other side.

Sponsored Links
Indeed, I should have qualified my previous remark. The next time I see two young ladies attending a session together I will pay more attention. It will give me something to think about while I am lying there having the life force drained from my body… ;)

DO NOT visit the pub on the way home - even for a 'swift half' :eek:

Totally agree with what Alison said, Another ailment which they refuse your blood is Diabetes.

I have donated 13 or 14 times. I started at work as it was a good excuse for an hour off but I soon appreciated why I was doing it.
I think the tatoo rule has been relaxed a bit now, down to 3 months IIRC.
Good luck and go for it - just think of why you are doing it.

I’m a Universal Donor Blood group ‘0’ Rhesus Negative. But last time I gave blood, around 2002 they advised that because my GP diagnosed “stress fatigue” it was better for me if I didnt give blood. Anyway, fast forward, now Im a gym junkie it apears that for men our blood may get a bit thicker than ideal. Giving blood for men improves this situation. Opposite advice for women who still bleed.

So I wnet on the nhs giving blood page. You cant give blood older than 65. Im 66. I suppose I should have seen that coming. Makes sense I guess.

If OP is still around. All the time I gave blood, never felt a thing. Always amaised me how they can put a venflon the size of a party straw in you’re vein and you never feel a thing. But when the practice nurse takes a sample you arm is black and blue for a fortnight.

I originally gave blood because I was a nurse and a call went out in the hospital I worked at if there were any universal donors in the staff. I gave it routinely from then on until my “stress fatigue”. If youre a nurse and you give blood you get time off the ward. Whats not to like?

Sponsored Links
Back