Glass roof to existing outbuilding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an existing outbuilding/shed of a good size and which has a conventional slate roof. It's not really used and as it gets plenty of sun the Mrs has suggested we replace the slate roof with either glass a perspex sheeting on one side turning it into a sort of potting shed/greenhouse sort of thing.

Is this easy enough to do and would glass or sheeting be the best way forward having a mind to cost and ease of fitting?

At the moment I am putting material together for a front gable porch and to be honest, the tiles from the existing shed would be hand to have!

Cheers guys

Sponsored Links
There will be a massive difference in price between a glass roof and an alternative product.

Personally I love glass roofs but they are very heavy, pretty expensive and require a professional installation.

Perspex is a bit cheap and totally at the other end of the market and would be good for a greenhouse but not much else.

Polycarbonate Sheeting is probably your best alternative, it is available in different thicknesses so you can choose to suit your budget.
There are lots of very simple roof bars available online and they are all pretty easy to fit.

this website has a decent range, but you might be able to find a local supplier?

http://www.gbplastics.co.uk/Products/Polycarbonate_Sheeting_Glazing_Roof_Bars_Conservatory

There will be a massive difference in price between a glass roof and an alternative product.

Personally I love glass roofs but they are very heavy, pretty expensive and require a professional installation.

Perspex is a bit cheap and totally at the other end of the market and would be good for a greenhouse but not much else.

Polycarbonate Sheeting is probably your best alternative, it is available in different thicknesses so you can choose to suit your budget.
There are lots of very simple roof bars available online and they are all pretty easy to fit.

this website has a decent range, but you might be able to find a local supplier?

http://www.gbplastics.co.uk/Products/Polycarbonate_Sheeting_Glazing_Roof_Bars_Conservatory[/QUOTE]

Ah thanks,

Polycarbonate are what I came up with on doing some more checking but, I did not realise you could get roof bars as well. Hmm interesting. The sheeting looks pricey but with second hand slates being it seems around a £1 each it might balance out.

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back