Roof glass panel installed wrong?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, so I got installed warm roof on the conservatory including fancy glass panel . However the glass panel behaves weirdly, as when there is a sun light, it gets very hot in the inside and is basically emitting heat into the room. Also now there appeared some sort of weird blistering on the inside of the panel . (its I think double glazed, and this is in the internals). I had tried contacting the producer, but they refuse talk to me as I'm end customer, so I was wondering if anyone has some experience with those to at least tell me the warming form the inside is all right, or they actually could have fitted it other way around with the coated/reflective side facing inside, rather then outside. So I have some more leverage towards the installer, as they say all is alright. (well not the blistering, thats a new thing and I'm waiting for their comments on that)

thanks

20220825_111323.jpg

Sponsored Links
Can't really make out the issue. Most ' coatings ' for easiclean glass etc are embedded on the outer pane of the glass. If something is blistering it sounds like a ' film ' of some sort.

Would need to know what the ' make up 'of the sealed unit is to be able to help I think

Can't really make out the issue. Most ' coatings ' for easiclean glass etc are embedded on the outer pane of the glass. If something is blistering it sounds like a ' film ' of some sort.

Would need to know what the ' make up 'of the sealed unit is to be able to help I think
as the producer doesn't want to speak to me, I can't get more info. But yes, it look like some issue with film that is on the inside side of the outer panel. And I hope this is clear reason for replacement as this shouldn't happen after 4 weeks it put on.

I'm mainly interested in the warming part. If it is normal for those coated windows to get super warm even on the internal glass panel? I would assume only the reflective/outer part should get hot, but the interior facing glass should stay cold. Or it is really normal for the coated glass (even velux) to act like a heater?

Agree there should be no visible flaw in that period of time

As goes the heating up....little trickier. Modern sealed units will have argon gas and a low emissity glass,both designed to keep heat in. Being in the roof,it could just be that heat rises. Hard to tell really without knowing how hot it is actually getting

Sponsored Links

As goes the heating up....little trickier. Modern sealed units will have argon gas and a low emissity glass,both designed to keep heat in. Being in the roof,it could just be that heat rises. Hard to tell really without knowing how hot it is actually getting
the panel is currently in the shade, so I need to wait for tomorrow and how for the sun to measure the temp.. However sun is directly shining directly onto standard double glazed windows and they are 33 deg Celsius. And comparing with other objects on the direct sunlight right now I would estimate the temp of the roof panel in 50-60 deg ballpark.

I am a lowly decorator..but the dark mark in your image looks like a scuff mark.

With regards to blistering, that might be water ingress (but you would expect water stains first.. Photos from above and without the tape will help people more knowledgeable than me to respond though

Edit- whoops- I was looking at the mark on the glass

Last edited:

so today is sunshine, and even though sun is still low, I did some measurements

roof slate - 44C
roof glass panel outside - 22C
roof glass panel inside - 49C
ceiling inside - 23.6C
conservatory double glazed window outside - 22C
conservatory double glazed window outside - 29C

so the inside part of the roof glass panel is the hottest thing around.

I am a lowly decorator..but the dark mark in your image looks like a scuff mark.

With regards to blistering, that might be water ingress (but you would expect water stains first.. Photos from above and without the tape will help people more knowledgeable than me to respond though
I took some better photos. Just to be clear, it is no the Surface #2 for the schema attached.

Attachments

• glass-surfaces-double.png
    glass-surfaces-double.png
    25.4 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220826_093857.jpg
    20220826_093857.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 63
  • 20220826_092555.jpg
    20220826_092555.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 53
That does seem very high to me...if that had been on a window you could touch easily there is potential for a burn.

Is the glass tinted at all?

And I'm guessing you can reach the glass unit from outside, so just wondered if you could feel the ' blister ' or whether it was on the internal face of the sealed unit

That does seem very high to me...if that had been on a window you could touch easily there is potential for a burn.

Is the glass tinted at all?
yes, there is a blue tint to the window. And I did lighter flame test today and there is something on surface 2 and even surface 1.

And I'm guessing you can reach the glass unit from outside, so just wondered if you could feel the ' blister ' or whether it was on the internal face of the sealed unit
yeah, look at the schema posted above, its is surface number 2. so the internal face of outside facing panel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back