glass shelves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
i dont now if this is in the right place! But i need some help in finding brackets to put up glass shelves in my bathroom they will be going up on tiled walls
the size of the shelves is 29" long
15 1/2" wide
6mm deep

any advice gratefully received
jane

Sponsored Links
If those are really the dimensions you're talking about some serious weight, especially once the shelves are loaded. Any slight sag and they'll become a menace as stuff slides off. Your wall will need to be very solid or you'll be needing to screw into timber studding to support that. I would be looking around for a suitable triangular bracket to take that kind of weight; I would look on shopfitters' websites for heavy duty commercial shelf supports as used in posh perfumery stores and so on.

Jane are these purpose made shelves ? the reason I ask is if it is just some pieces of glass that you want to use as shelves they could be dangerous in a bathroom, the glass must be safety glass and if you have doubts about its suitability ditch it and get some purpose made shelves from your local glass shop who would give you advice on brackets etc.

(just read my post and I sound like me Mum) :LOL:

yes the glass came from a glass suppliers, it is 6mm clear toughened and the sizes are
4 @ 394 x 622
6@ 394 x 737

the suppliers told us to use brackets from b and q but when i checked the packaging on them they said only suitable for shelves 25cm deep mine are twice that! We have just had new bathroom and en-suite put in and when this was done we had the shower in the en-suite moved so we were left with an alcolve that we split in two, half in the main bathroom above the bath and the other half in the en-suite and so i wanted the shelves to put towels etc on (sorry most probably not a good description) and never thought that the shelves would be so heavy so not sure what to do now
jane

Sponsored Links
Do you want the fixings to be the concealed type, or will it be OK to see screws? If these are in an alcove then you could support them on 3 sides with polished stainless steel bar drilled and screwed to the walls.

Or you could look in bathroom shops for cantilevered glass shelves where you like the supports, buy those and just use the supports. You'd need 2 per shelf (one at each edge) at least, possibly one at the rear as well, so this won't come cheap, and would need the shelves to be smaller than the alcove to allow for the supports, and I suspect they aren't.

Did you have any idea what sort of brackets you wanted before you had the shelves made? Or what you could/would need to spend? That glass can't have been cheap, and I'm surprised that you didn't do a full and proper design before buying them.

I fear it may all have been a mistake anyway - with the condensation you'll get on glass in shower/bath rooms, and the general lack of ventilation around the towels, you may well come to wish you'd had slatted wooden shelves, or wire racks.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back